RE: [new_distillers] Re: Aluminium or stainless steel for the boiler

  • bobcrowder2001
    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 2, 2013

      Should have said less iron instead of no iron or steel. Thanks for the correction.

      Bob c

      Full explanation here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stainless_steel#Types_of_stainless_steel

        True SS is not magnetic.  Usually food grade is not magnetic.  Lots of store pots are made with steel and then chromium and nickel and that is magnetic. True stainless  has no iron or steel in it and is not magnetic.

      Bob c

    • Alex Netherton
      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 2, 2013
        Read closer. True stainless is indeed ferrous (contains iron), but the crystal structure is such that it is not magnetic. Can't call it steel if it ain't. Stainless contains different amounts of Chromium, Nickel, Cobalt, Molybdenum, what have you, such that some formulations, like the steel in Swiss Army Knives, is magnetic, where, say, the shafts of turbochargers have so much of another metal that they aren't. In an automotive re-manufacturing shop, we tossed stainless in the same scrap bin as other steel. Non-ferrous metals went somewhere else.
        Alex Netherton
        Blue Ridge Discovery

        On 3/2/2013 5:02 PM, self.adhesive@... wrote:

        Full explanation here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stainless_steel#Types_of_stainless_steel

          True SS is not magnetic.  Usually food grade is not magnetic.  Lots of store pots are made with steel and then chromium and nickel and that is magnetic. True stainless  has no iron or steel in it and is not magnetic.

        Bob c

      • o1bigtenor
        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 3, 2013
          On Fri, Mar 1, 2013 at 4:14 PM, M L <kekedog13@...> wrote:

          Keep a piece of  magnet with you to test with. It'll stick to stainless steel .

          No it won't. A 300 series stainless will not hold a magnet a 400 series will. I have forgotten which is which but you have the ferritic, martensitic and austenitic.

          Your 316 is a very common SS so is 304.

          (Machinist/pressure welder here.)              D