Re: [new_distillers] Grain mash

  • Alex Netherton
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 2, 2013
      What grain? All grass family seeds (oats, rye, barley, wheat, rice, even corn), are grains. A mash bill with mostly rye makes a whiskey by that name. Barley is used for scotch. Wheat is often added to a mash bill for Bourbon to smooth it out, rye to spice it up. Barley can be added for flavor. To make Bourbon, it must be 51% corn. Pure rye or barley can be used for a special type of drink. Just jump in. Any of those can be used to make a type of beer; the old timers liked to drink the beer (wort) of their product almost as much as the distillate.
      Try pure rye.
      Then try pure barley.
      Mix the two in the mash bill.
      Then try corn with the others in the mash.
      Try different combinations.
      Keep good notes.
      Alex Netherton
      Blue Ridge Discovery

      On 3/2/2013 4:44 PM, billy.turf wrote:

      Hi all,

      I really want to brew a grain based wort i have a shop closeby http://www.brouwland.com/en/ i would like to make rye, when i look at the shop website under brewing there are dozens of different malted grains, toasted, caramel, even something called chocolate, there are flakes and extracts as well. I have not really been able to find the grain bills. I get the cooking and sparging bit, but what amounts of which grains.

      I am completly confused about what grains in what forms to use. I have looked through alot of sites, but i am missing rye recepies, lots of corn stuff and a bit of grain with a load of suger, but i woud like to try just grain.

      Could someone please send me off in the right direction, or is there good reason not to do just grain? Is it better to use corn and sugar and a bit of grain?

      Thanks
      Billy

    • M L
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 2, 2013
        Hey billy, Allow me to interject.If you were to look at "The Modern Distiller" site for instance, there's a section called "Recipes". From there go to 100 % proven.There is one for 100 % Malt all grain whiskey.And one called "Rockchucker Rye" .That is 60% Malted Rye, 20% malted barley, and 20% corn.Just to name a few .Also Home Distillation of Alcohol has a very nice site with links to other use full sites on the  subject.