Re: [new_distillers] Re: Aluminium or stainless steel for the boiler

  • Chris Cameron
    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 2, 2013
      Where do you live? I don't think I've ever seen an aluminum keg. Better double check.

      On Fri, Mar 1, 2013 at 2:08 PM, steander@... <steander@...> wrote:

      Thanks all for your reply's, now the hardest part will be finding a stainless keg as all i can find is aluminium ones.

      Steve

    • girlguidebiscuit
      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 2, 2013
        Full explanation here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stainless_steel#Types_of_stainless_steel

         True SS is not magnetic.  Usually food grade is not magnetic.  Lots of store pots are made with steel and then chromium and nickel and that is magnetic. True stainless  has no iron or steel in it and is not magnetic.

        Bob c

      • bobcrowder2001
        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 2, 2013

          Should have said less iron instead of no iron or steel. Thanks for the correction.

          Bob c

          Full explanation here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stainless_steel#Types_of_stainless_steel

            True SS is not magnetic.  Usually food grade is not magnetic.  Lots of store pots are made with steel and then chromium and nickel and that is magnetic. True stainless  has no iron or steel in it and is not magnetic.

          Bob c

        • Alex Netherton
          Message 4 of 18 , Mar 2, 2013
            Read closer. True stainless is indeed ferrous (contains iron), but the crystal structure is such that it is not magnetic. Can't call it steel if it ain't. Stainless contains different amounts of Chromium, Nickel, Cobalt, Molybdenum, what have you, such that some formulations, like the steel in Swiss Army Knives, is magnetic, where, say, the shafts of turbochargers have so much of another metal that they aren't. In an automotive re-manufacturing shop, we tossed stainless in the same scrap bin as other steel. Non-ferrous metals went somewhere else.
            Alex Netherton
            Blue Ridge Discovery

            On 3/2/2013 5:02 PM, self.adhesive@... wrote:

            Full explanation here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stainless_steel#Types_of_stainless_steel

              True SS is not magnetic.  Usually food grade is not magnetic.  Lots of store pots are made with steel and then chromium and nickel and that is magnetic. True stainless  has no iron or steel in it and is not magnetic.

            Bob c

          • M L
            Message 5 of 18 , Mar 2, 2013
              I cut out the top of an old Coors keg for my brew pot. Yep, a magnet sticks, also sticks to my stock pot but not to the lid that came with it . Hmm, that's strange.Guess the lid is a purer steel. And my stainless kitchen knives are stuck to a magnetic bar on the wall.
              From: steander@... <steander@...>
              To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
              Date: Friday, March 1, 2013, 2:08 PM

              Thanks all for your reply's, now the hardest part will be finding a stainless keg as all i can find is aluminium ones.

              Steve

            • o1bigtenor
              Message 6 of 18 , Mar 3, 2013
                On Fri, Mar 1, 2013 at 4:14 PM, M L <kekedog13@...> wrote:

                Keep a piece of  magnet with you to test with. It'll stick to stainless steel .

                No it won't. A 300 series stainless will not hold a magnet a 400 series will. I have forgotten which is which but you have the ferritic, martensitic and austenitic.

                Your 316 is a very common SS so is 304.

                (Machinist/pressure welder here.)              D