RE: [new_distillers] Re: Aluminium or stainless steel for the boiler

  • fatbloke
    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 2, 2013
      Erm......SS = stainless STEEL.  It's the non-ferrous elements added to steel that make it non-magnetic.

      The fact that it's steel of any kind means it contains iron. It's the %'s of the non-ferrous elements that render it food/chemical/surgical/whatever grade.

      Google will easily provide a full list of "ingredients" for the various alloys.....

      bob@... wrote:

      True SS is not magnetic.  Usually food grade is not magnetic.  Lots of store pots are made with steel and then chromium and nickel and that is magnetic. True stainless  has no iron or steel in it and is not magnetic.

      Bob c

    • Chris Cameron
      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 2, 2013
        Where do you live? I don't think I've ever seen an aluminum keg. Better double check.

        On Fri, Mar 1, 2013 at 2:08 PM, steander@... <steander@...> wrote:

        Thanks all for your reply's, now the hardest part will be finding a stainless keg as all i can find is aluminium ones.

        Steve

      • girlguidebiscuit
        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 2, 2013
          Full explanation here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stainless_steel#Types_of_stainless_steel

           True SS is not magnetic.  Usually food grade is not magnetic.  Lots of store pots are made with steel and then chromium and nickel and that is magnetic. True stainless  has no iron or steel in it and is not magnetic.

          Bob c

        • bobcrowder2001
          Message 4 of 18 , Mar 2, 2013

            Should have said less iron instead of no iron or steel. Thanks for the correction.

            Bob c

            Full explanation here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stainless_steel#Types_of_stainless_steel

              True SS is not magnetic.  Usually food grade is not magnetic.  Lots of store pots are made with steel and then chromium and nickel and that is magnetic. True stainless  has no iron or steel in it and is not magnetic.

            Bob c

          • Alex Netherton
            Message 5 of 18 , Mar 2, 2013
              Read closer. True stainless is indeed ferrous (contains iron), but the crystal structure is such that it is not magnetic. Can't call it steel if it ain't. Stainless contains different amounts of Chromium, Nickel, Cobalt, Molybdenum, what have you, such that some formulations, like the steel in Swiss Army Knives, is magnetic, where, say, the shafts of turbochargers have so much of another metal that they aren't. In an automotive re-manufacturing shop, we tossed stainless in the same scrap bin as other steel. Non-ferrous metals went somewhere else.
              Alex Netherton
              Blue Ridge Discovery

              On 3/2/2013 5:02 PM, self.adhesive@... wrote:

              Full explanation here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stainless_steel#Types_of_stainless_steel

                True SS is not magnetic.  Usually food grade is not magnetic.  Lots of store pots are made with steel and then chromium and nickel and that is magnetic. True stainless  has no iron or steel in it and is not magnetic.

              Bob c

            • M L
              Message 6 of 18 , Mar 2, 2013
                I cut out the top of an old Coors keg for my brew pot. Yep, a magnet sticks, also sticks to my stock pot but not to the lid that came with it . Hmm, that's strange.Guess the lid is a purer steel. And my stainless kitchen knives are stuck to a magnetic bar on the wall.
                From: steander@... <steander@...>
                To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
                Date: Friday, March 1, 2013, 2:08 PM

                Thanks all for your reply's, now the hardest part will be finding a stainless keg as all i can find is aluminium ones.

                Steve

              • o1bigtenor
                Message 7 of 18 , Mar 3, 2013
                  On Fri, Mar 1, 2013 at 4:14 PM, M L <kekedog13@...> wrote:

                  Keep a piece of  magnet with you to test with. It'll stick to stainless steel .

                  No it won't. A 300 series stainless will not hold a magnet a 400 series will. I have forgotten which is which but you have the ferritic, martensitic and austenitic.

                  Your 316 is a very common SS so is 304.

                  (Machinist/pressure welder here.)              D