Re: Aluminium or stainless steel for the boiler

  • steander@y7mail.com
    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 1, 2013
      Thanks all for your reply's, now the hardest part will be finding a stainless keg as all i can find is aluminium ones.

      Steve
    • M L
      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 1, 2013
        Keep a piece of  magnet with you to test with. It'll stick to stainless steel .

        Thanks all for your reply's, now the hardest part will be finding a stainless keg as all i can find is aluminium ones.

        Steve

      • bobcrowder2001
        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 1, 2013

          True SS is not magnetic.  Usually food grade is not magnetic.  Lots of store pots are made with steel and then chromium and nickel and that is magnetic. True stainless  has no iron or steel in it and is not magnetic.

          Bob c

        • Fredrick Lee
          Message 4 of 18 , Mar 1, 2013
            I own a brewery; Ive never seen an aluminum keg. I'm sure they exist, but 99.999% of kegs are matte stainless.

            Message 5 of 18 , Mar 1, 2013
              A magnet will not generally stick to 304 and 316L stainless kegs. If there are kegs made of other materials, I have not seen them.

              Message 6 of 18 , Mar 2, 2013
                Erm......SS = stainless STEEL.  It's the non-ferrous elements added to steel that make it non-magnetic.

                The fact that it's steel of any kind means it contains iron. It's the %'s of the non-ferrous elements that render it food/chemical/surgical/whatever grade.

                Google will easily provide a full list of "ingredients" for the various alloys.....

                bob@... wrote:

                True SS is not magnetic.  Usually food grade is not magnetic.  Lots of store pots are made with steel and then chromium and nickel and that is magnetic. True stainless  has no iron or steel in it and is not magnetic.

                Bob c

              • Chris Cameron
                Message 7 of 18 , Mar 2, 2013
                  Where do you live? I don't think I've ever seen an aluminum keg. Better double check.

                  On Fri, Mar 1, 2013 at 2:08 PM, steander@... <steander@...> wrote:

                  Thanks all for your reply's, now the hardest part will be finding a stainless keg as all i can find is aluminium ones.

                  Steve

                • girlguidebiscuit
                  Message 8 of 18 , Mar 2, 2013
                    Full explanation here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stainless_steel#Types_of_stainless_steel

                    Message 9 of 18 , Mar 2, 2013

                      Should have said less iron instead of no iron or steel. Thanks for the correction.

                      Bob c

                      Full explanation here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stainless_steel#Types_of_stainless_steel

                        True SS is not magnetic.  Usually food grade is not magnetic.  Lots of store pots are made with steel and then chromium and nickel and that is magnetic. True stainless  has no iron or steel in it and is not magnetic.

                      Bob c

                    • Alex Netherton
                      Message 10 of 18 , Mar 2, 2013
                        Read closer. True stainless is indeed ferrous (contains iron), but the crystal structure is such that it is not magnetic. Can't call it steel if it ain't. Stainless contains different amounts of Chromium, Nickel, Cobalt, Molybdenum, what have you, such that some formulations, like the steel in Swiss Army Knives, is magnetic, where, say, the shafts of turbochargers have so much of another metal that they aren't. In an automotive re-manufacturing shop, we tossed stainless in the same scrap bin as other steel. Non-ferrous metals went somewhere else.
                        Alex Netherton
                        Blue Ridge Discovery

                        Message 11 of 18 , Mar 2, 2013
                          I cut out the top of an old Coors keg for my brew pot. Yep, a magnet sticks, also sticks to my stock pot but not to the lid that came with it . Hmm, that's strange.Guess the lid is a purer steel. And my stainless kitchen knives are stuck to a magnetic bar on the wall.
                          A magnet will not generally stick to 304 and 316L stainless kegs. If there are kegs made of other materials, I have not seen them.
                          pot but not to the lid that came with it , Hmm, strange that.
                          On Mar 1, 2013, at 7:14 PM, M L <kekedog13@...> wrote:

                          Keep a piece of  magnet with you to test with. It'll stick to stainless steel .

                          Thanks all for your reply's, now the hardest part will be finding a stainless keg as all i can find is aluminium ones.

                          Steve

                        • o1bigtenor
                          Message 12 of 18 , Mar 3, 2013
                            On Fri, Mar 1, 2013 at 4:14 PM, M L <kekedog13@...> wrote:

                            Keep a piece of  magnet with you to test with. It'll stick to stainless steel .

                            No it won't. A 300 series stainless will not hold a magnet a 400 series will. I have forgotten which is which but you have the ferritic, martensitic and austenitic.

                            Your 316 is a very common SS so is 304.

                            (Machinist/pressure welder here.)              D