Re: [new_distillers] Re: Noobie thoughts

  • RLB
    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 28, 2013
      I have a hot plate that cycles, but it was only used to melt solder.  Guess it's time to test it with my 2.5 gal pot still.  Hot plate is 110 V, whereas my kitchen range is 220v.  I should be able to cut my electric bill by using a hot plate if it works well.  Thanks Bob!

      Has anyone thought of using a blower with ethanol or methanol to heat a still such as in oil furnace like setup?

      Robert

      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 1, 2013
        The amount of energy to run the still will not change. Your electric bill will probably remain the same.

        On Feb 28, 2013, at 11:18 PM, RLB <last2blast@...> wrote:

        I have a hot plate that cycles, but it was only used to melt solder.  Guess it's time to test it with my 2.5 gal pot still.  Hot plate is 110 V, whereas my kitchen range is 220v.  I should be able to cut my electric bill by using a hot plate if it works well.  Thanks Bob!

        Has anyone thought of using a blower with ethanol or methanol to heat a still such as in oil furnace like setup?

        Robert

        An electric hotplate worksok with a small potstill. It will be too slow to satisfy on a larger potstill, and the cycling will make reflux distillers go batshit.

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, cnapier@... wrote:

        > Thanks,,,,
        >
        > Any suggestions??
        >
        > I use one now.....and it does cycle off and on.
        >
        > Claude
        >

        > ________________________________

      • Mike

          An electric hotplate worksok with a small potstill. It will be too slow to satisfy on a larger potstill, and the cycling will make reflux distillers go batshit.

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, cnapier@... wrote:

          > Thanks,,,,
          >
          > Any suggestions??
          >
          > I use one now.....and it does cycle off and on.
          >
          > Claude
          >

          > ________________________________

        • RLB
          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 1, 2013
            My 220 V, 30 A range has coils, but my hotplate burner is solid.  That should allow for better heat transfer than my range, and it might reduce distillation time, which should save money in the long run.

            Robert

            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 1, 2013

              My plate handles my 2 gallon just fine.....

              Figure if I go up...........3 or 4 gallon.......

              If would take forever.....

              Claude

                Message 7 of 19 , Mar 1, 2013
                  Thanks for the update

                  Let me know how it goes
                  Sometimes things dont go as planned
                  I will put my Help on hold until we get this worked out.

                  I already gave my panel builder a 1000 dollar deposit so i would not lose him to another job

                  Keep me posted now that you know what happened it should not ne too hard to fix

                  Chuck

                  Sent from my Motorola ATRIX™ 4G on AT&T