Re: [new_distillers] Re: Confusion over how and what compounds survive distillation

  • Richard Costa
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 27, 2013
      Thanks, another great response, and I hadn't thought of that. Hmmm...make a reflux still but run it like a pot still when I want to. I've got a pretty good idea now of exactly how I want to approach the build. Thanks everyone.

      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 27, 2013
        Use a thumper.

        Robert

        That's basically where I was headed, a shorter column with limited reflux. If my intention is a quality mash then it makes no sense to distill it all out. I was just hoping to get the results I wanted in one run instead of two. Thanks for the reply.

        Take a look at some of the flexible reflux designs. It's possible to run a column with very little reflux, effectively giving you a pot still. Or a column that is removable altogether, depending on what you plan on distilling. It seems silly to me, personally, to strip out all the flavor and then add it back in artificially. But there are no wrong answers if you like what you're making.
        -j

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Richard Costa wrote:

        > Thanks for the response. I'm straddling the fence right now but it does give me some clarity. I guess it comes down to what I'm trying to achieve and what my resources are for mash? If I have a nice quality mash I might want the pot still, but if it's just about the alcohol I'll be going with the reflux. It's like the choice between making love or just having some hard sex......and I guess I'm looking to achieve both but do it in one run, ...or on the first date.

      • Damion Pseudonym
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 27, 2013
          ((trimming posts is awesome))

          You could always do both. I know designing and building my own mini-still has been immensely educational and just crazy fun too (I chose pot-stilling because I like the aesthetic of it - and vodka just doesn't have the romance....). Sounds like you've got the "punk rock DIY" bug on all this, so, really, nothing teaches you and gives you a solid grounding like hands on.

          -=DPseudo