Re: [new_distillers] beer keg

  • Bill Rogers
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 25, 2013
      yes.  and also kegs with heating elements inside of them and not with a hot plate under.

      On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 3:23 PM, <self.adhesive@...> wrote:

      I guess we are talking about stainless steel kegs and not the wooden variety?

      >Plenty of homebrewers have converted half barrel kegs to electric
      >boil kettles. You heat the fluid/mash not the vessel with this
      >method anyway. Insulating the outside will improve efficiency.

      I use a full size keg (59 litres). I use two heating elements (hot
      water heater type). One is 220 volts for heat up. The others is
      1500watts 110. I use a variac for temperature control.
      The keg is a lovely thing. I had the local metalwork shop cut a hole
      large enough to get my arm in for cleaning, then modified a stainless
      mixing bowl to clamp on the top. Everything else is copper from the
      column through the x flow condenser to the final takeoff.
      I like the large keg because I can do double batches.
      I usually do the neutral alcohol in one go.
      Other stuff like whiskey, rum and brandy I run once through at the
      hell bent for leather speed, then a second run going slowly to both
      make my cuts and bring across flavors..

      So, I'm biased. I like the stability of working with a 59 litre kettle.

      Derek

    • Blackhat-Whitedog
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 25, 2013
        the idea is to cut a hole in the side of the keg and install an electrical heating element. a few inches off the bottom.

        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 26, 2013
          Does anyone use a combination of propane and electric to heat a ss keg boiler? Propane for the initial heat-up and electric for the distilling. How do you protect the element?

          Paul

          yes.  and also kegs with heating elements inside of them and not with a hot plate under.

        • RLB
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 26, 2013
            It takes me 4 hrs to 5 hrs for a 2 gal run, so I am seriously thinking propane to heat it up to temp then using electric over 165 F.

            Robert