Re: [new_distillers] Apple seeds, cyanide and juicing

  • ahandyman59
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 25 12:43 PM

      I think the key ingredient in the apple seeds is called Amygdalin, which breaks down to hydrogen cyanide when consumed. Amygdalin melts above the boiling point of water, so I think there is very little chance of concentrating any of the compound in the distillate.

      ahandyman59

      On Mon, 25 Feb 2013 15:11:54 +1300 (NZDT), self.adhesive@... wrote:

      Hi guys

      Can I ask please, is there any known hazard from putting quartered apples through a destructive grinding-type juicer pips and all? I have just read that apple seeds contain cyanide.. Is it true that I now have about 15 litres of cyanide-laced apple juice that I should not dare drink?

      Carrying this to its logical conclusion, if true, could I ferment this stuff, distill and drink safely?

      Thanks and best
      Paul
      NZ
      .