Re: [new_distillers] Apple seeds, cyanide and juicing

  • RLB
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 24, 2013
      I have no idea about cyanide in apple seeds, one would think that there would not be enough cyanide remaining in the finished product to kill a person.  You went to the trouble of quartering them, so why didn't you remove the seeds?  Most people would just press apples.  The question one must ask is how did you distill your wort (pot, pot with thumper, or reflux?)  How much water did you use in your proofing barrel?  Using a pot and pot with thumper would prevent most cyanide from entering your finished product.  Doesn't cyanide have a nasty taste?

      Robert

      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 25, 2013
        Robert asked: "Doesn't cyanide have a nasty taste?"

        I don't know, why don't you try some and let me know? LOL.

        Paul
      • Ric Cunningham
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 26, 2013
          Apple brandy is made with hard cider which has been mass produced for many years without removing the seeds. Cherry pits also contain the same compound and they are not removed from fermented products when aged with an alcoholic solution (Kriek). Do not fret all is well, the sky is not falling.

          --
          US Navy - 100% on watch
        • RLB
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 26, 2013
            He was going to use it to make vinegar, and I don't know a lot of people who drink vinegar which would be of a less concern.  I can't be in the same room with vinegar, so it would have been dumped a long time ago. lol.

            Robert