Re: [new_distillers] beer keg

  • Jason Schnapp
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 24, 2013
      Yes I sell controllers to mount an emmersion element in the keg to boil with electric. They range from $275-$375 depending on unit.

      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 25, 2013
        At 06:06 AM 2/25/2013, you wrote:

        >Plenty of homebrewers have converted half barrel kegs to electric
        >boil kettles. You heat the fluid/mash not the vessel with this
        >method anyway. Insulating the outside will improve efficiency.

        I use a full size keg (59 litres). I use two heating elements (hot
        water heater type). One is 220 volts for heat up. The others is
        1500watts 110. I use a variac for temperature control.
        The keg is a lovely thing. I had the local metalwork shop cut a hole
        large enough to get my arm in for cleaning, then modified a stainless
        mixing bowl to clamp on the top. Everything else is copper from the
        column through the x flow condenser to the final takeoff.
        I like the large keg because I can do double batches.
        I usually do the neutral alcohol in one go.
        Other stuff like whiskey, rum and brandy I run once through at the
        hell bent for leather speed, then a second run going slowly to both
        make my cuts and bring across flavors.
        So, I'm biased. I like the stability of working with a 59 litre kettle.

        Derek
      • girlguidebiscuit
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 25, 2013
          I guess we are talking about stainless steel kegs and not the wooden variety?

          >Plenty of homebrewers have converted half barrel kegs to electric
          >boil kettles. You heat the fluid/mash not the vessel with this
          >method anyway. Insulating the outside will improve efficiency.

          I use a full size keg (59 litres). I use two heating elements (hot
          water heater type). One is 220 volts for heat up. The others is
          1500watts 110. I use a variac for temperature control.
          The keg is a lovely thing. I had the local metalwork shop cut a hole
          large enough to get my arm in for cleaning, then modified a stainless
          mixing bowl to clamp on the top. Everything else is copper from the
          column through the x flow condenser to the final takeoff.
          I like the large keg because I can do double batches.
          I usually do the neutral alcohol in one go.
          Other stuff like whiskey, rum and brandy I run once through at the
          hell bent for leather speed, then a second run going slowly to both
          make my cuts and bring across flavors..
          So, I'm biased. I like the stability of working with a 59 litre kettle.

          Derek

        • Bill Rogers
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 25, 2013
            yes.  and also kegs with heating elements inside of them and not with a hot plate under.

            On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 3:23 PM, <self.adhesive@...> wrote:

            I guess we are talking about stainless steel kegs and not the wooden variety?

            >Plenty of homebrewers have converted half barrel kegs to electric
            >boil kettles. You heat the fluid/mash not the vessel with this
            >method anyway. Insulating the outside will improve efficiency.

            I use a full size keg (59 litres). I use two heating elements (hot
            water heater type). One is 220 volts for heat up. The others is
            1500watts 110. I use a variac for temperature control.
            The keg is a lovely thing. I had the local metalwork shop cut a hole
            large enough to get my arm in for cleaning, then modified a stainless
            mixing bowl to clamp on the top. Everything else is copper from the
            column through the x flow condenser to the final takeoff.
            I like the large keg because I can do double batches.
            I usually do the neutral alcohol in one go.
            Other stuff like whiskey, rum and brandy I run once through at the
            hell bent for leather speed, then a second run going slowly to both
            make my cuts and bring across flavors..

            So, I'm biased. I like the stability of working with a 59 litre kettle.

            Derek

          • Blackhat-Whitedog
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 25, 2013
              the idea is to cut a hole in the side of the keg and install an electrical heating element. a few inches off the bottom.

              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 26, 2013
                Does anyone use a combination of propane and electric to heat a ss keg boiler? Propane for the initial heat-up and electric for the distilling. How do you protect the element?

                Paul

                yes.  and also kegs with heating elements inside of them and not with a hot plate under.

              • RLB
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 26, 2013
                  It takes me 4 hrs to 5 hrs for a 2 gal run, so I am seriously thinking propane to heat it up to temp then using electric over 165 F.

                  Robert