Re: [new_distillers] stuck wash

  • Jim Graves
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 24, 2013
      Take the top off and leave it open to the atmosphere with just a towl over it to keep the bugs out.  Use EC1118 yeast and you won't have this problem in the future.  Make sure its warm, I use black food grade plastic barrels and put them in the southeast corner of my house where they get sun almost all day.  You really don't have to get to elaborate in making this stuff, just remember 100 years ago they had nothing like we do today.  Good luck!

      James D. Graves
      Ravenwood Solutions, llc.
      251-533-8569

      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 25, 2013
        You have a bad case of unhappy yeast.

        First the SG of just the sugar to is 1.040. You don't state the amount of corn or rye so I can't do the calculation on that.
        Second RO water is not good for fermentation. Yeast need lots of nutrients and a high sugar wash has none and RO water has none. Clean spring or drinking water are best due to the mineral content that the yeast can use for metabolic processes. Adding some yeast nutrient will help a lot in the future. Homebrewing suppliers have many different types and some us a touch of Miracle grow. If you have a high alcohol environment the new yeast will not do any good without the proper nutrient load. I am on the fence about rehydrating yeast but you definitely need to get some nutrients in the wash. It is probably too late for this batch but you can do better next time. The Brewers Association has a book called Yeast that is a great resource on helping grow happpy and healthy yeast.

        --
        US Navy - 100% on watch
      • M L
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 25, 2013
          I have found that a tsp. of Epsom Salts, a tsp. of yeast nutrient and a very vigorous stir, like with a paint stirring devise on an electric drill does wonders to re-start a seemingly stuck ferment. And the addition of a newly re-hydrated batch of yeast doesn't hurt either.