Thanks

  • learn2still
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 29, 2002
      G'day All,

      Thank you to all my new found distilling friends for all your advice.
      It really is good to have found such a friendly enviroment in this
      site. Any question that I have, the answer is only a few typed lines
      away.
      No one has thought that any question I have had as stupid and not
      worth an answer.

      Thanks again

      Regards

      John
    • packandship2002 <packandship2002@yahoo.c
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 6, 2003
        Thanks all, but it seems it's going to cost me more to distill this
        as fuel for my car than it will to by a gallon of gas. I just really
        wanted to feel the 108 octane in the engine, really powerful.
        However, after checking prices for supplies, it will cost me about 10
        hours and 300.00 usd to produce 30 gallons of fuel for my car. Not
        worth it at all.

        Thanks Anyway, I'm glad you were here to help me out and answer by
        questions before I blew off all this money.
      • nanosleep <nanosleep@yahoo.com>
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 11, 2003
          The octane rating is not a measure of fuel power. It
          actually takes more alcohol than gasoline for a certain
          power output. You will get less miles per gallon
          on alcohol than gasoline.
          The octane rating is a measure of how much your can
          compress the air-fuel mixture before it will spontaneously
          ignite. You've probably heard the clattering or pinging
          of your engine when you've run a poor grade of gasoline.
          This is the fuel igniting before the proper time. It
          ignites because of the pressure and not because of the
          spark plug.
          The benefit of high octane fuels is the freedom from
          pre-ignition. The higher octane also means you can
          raise the amount your engine compresses the air-fuel.
          You can't do this with low octane fuel because it
          will pre-ignite. Whenever you raise the amount the
          engine compresses the air-fuel (compression ratio)
          the air-fuel burns faster and better. Because of this
          you do get more power. However it requires a
          modified engine to take advantage of this (hump top
          pistons, pistons with a lowered wrist pin, or
          machining of the face of the head). The easiest
          way to increase the compression ratio is with a
          turbocharger or supercharger. This will pre-compress
          the air-fuel before the engine does it's compression.
          The super/turbocharger will also increase the
          'effective' displacement of the engine. Depending
          on the amount of pre-compression, it can make your
          5 liter engine look like a 7 liter engine.

          The short answer is that you won't see any performance
          gains by running alcohol unless you do a significant
          modification to your engine.

          Sorry for the off topic post
          -A

          Alcohol also helps your engine run cooler.

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "packandship2002

        • CornFed (Randy) <cornfed15@hotmail.com>
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 11, 2003
            http://www.ericgorr.com/techarticles/fuel_terminology.htm
            This page has a long list of fuel terms and their definitions.

            Ethanol as a fuel helps increase the octane rating when it is mixed
            as a percentage with gasoline. Normally about a 10 percent blend. It
            also acts as a oxygenator to help lower emmisions from gasoline
            engines.

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "nanosleep <nanosleep@y...>"

          • sonum norbu
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 27, 2005
              What an amazing group this is. I've been a wine and beer maker for some forty years on and off, with reasonable success with beer and average with wine. All you clever buggers have not only taught me how to make fine spirits, but my beer making is now 1st class and who cares about making wine any more. :)
              Just made some great gin essence from Tony's book and am now searching for making all my own other essences. With essences and the gods of Carbon filtering I may just turn into an alcoholic. Thank heavens I have a wife to keep me under control!!!! Blanikdog

              SOARING, SAILING AND SKYDIVING web page
              http://www.angelfire.com/fl2/cloudbase/
              IRC server tessnet.cx

              Powered by Outblaze
            • Dean Thomas
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 27, 2005
                Mate keep making your wine and the ones that you won't drink distil them
                to make brandy :)

                Dean.

                sonum norbu wrote:

                >What an amazing group this is. I've been a wine and beer maker for some forty years on and off, with reasonable success with beer and average with wine. All you clever buggers have not only taught me how to make fine spirits, but my beer making is now 1st class and who cares about making wine any more. :)
                >Just made some great gin essence from Tony's book and am now searching for making all my own other essences. With essences and the gods of Carbon filtering I may just turn into an alcoholic. Thank heavens I have a wife to keep me under control!!!! Blanikdog
                >

                >"Most of the troubles of the world are caused by human beings". (Shakyamuni Buddha)
                >
                >SOARING, SAILING AND SKYDIVING web page
                >http://www.angelfire.com/fl2/cloudbase/
                >IRC server tessnet.cx

              • Brian Bashford
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 30, 2005
                  In the immortal words of Sir Henry Rawlinson (aka Viv Stanshall) *If I
                  had all the money I'd spent on drink .. I'd spend it on drink !* and
                  *I don't care what you do with me when I've shuffled off me mortal coil,
                  shove a light bulb in my mouth, stick a bit of flex up my back passage and
                  stand me in the hall. 'course, if you're using electricity you'll have to
                  dry me out first*.

                  Brian.

                  _____

                  Blanikdog wrote .

                  What an amazing group this is. I've been a wine and beer maker for some
                  forty years on and off, with reasonable success with beer and average with
                  wine. All you clever buggers have not only taught me how to make fine
                  spirits, but my beer making is now 1st class and who cares about making wine
                  any more. :)
                  Just made some great gin essence from Tony's book and am now searching for
                  making all my own other essences. With essences and the gods of Carbon
                  filtering I may just turn into an alcoholic. Thank heavens I have a wife to
                  keep me under control!!!! Blanikdog

                  _____

                • Adam F
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 28, 2010
                    Thought I would Thank everyone who has shared information with me. Not trying to sound touchy feely LOL just very apreciative.
                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 29, 2010

                      YVW Adam,

                      Nothing wrong with saying thanks.  Now if ya really want to get your tail wet,  pour yourself some of your hootch and spend a couple late nights reading through Tony Ackland's Home Distillation of Alcohol site.  We sometimes refer to this as "The Bible".  Will give you all kinds of insights and opinions on stuff.  http://www.homedistiller.org/

                      Good Luck.

                      JB.