apple seeds, juicing and cyanide

  • GGB
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 24, 2013
      Hi guys

      Can I ask please, is there any known hazard from putting quartered apples through a destructive grinding-type juicer pips and all? I have just read that apple seeds contain cyanide.. Is it true that I now have about 15 litres of cyanide-laced apple juice that I should not dare drink?

      Carrying this to its logical conclusion, if true, could I ferment this stuff, distill and drink safely?

      Thanks and best
      Paul
      NZ
    • White Bear
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 24, 2013
        GGB-
          As an herbalist, the amount of cyanide in apple pips is next to negligable.  You would have to eat over a pound of pips to feel any adverse effects.  I am sure that you don't have any where that amount in your apple juice.
          Manufactures of apple juice use a "distructive" type juicer and they process many more pounds of apples daily than you are doing.  If you still feel leary of your processing, toss it or make hard cider/apple wash and distill the wash.
        WB

        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 24, 2013
          Thanks WB. I was going to cider it then make some cider vinegar but distilling sounds better.

          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 25, 2013
            A newspaper report said a cup of apple seeds killed a person who indulged on his birthday!
            wal

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, White Bear <sha_man_1@...> wrote:

            > GGB-
            >   As an herbalist, the amount of cyanide in apple pips is next to negligable.  You would have to eat over a pound of pips to feel any adverse effects.  I am sure that you don't have any where that amount in your apple juice.
            >   Manufactures of apple juice use a "distructive" type juicer and they process many more pounds of apples daily than you are doing.  If you still feel leary of your processing, toss it or make hard cider/apple wash and distill the wash.
            > WB
            >

            > ________________________________

          • White Bear
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 25, 2013
              Check out how much a cup of apple seeds weighs.  If you could find that article, I would like to see it.
              P.S.  If someone was going to eat a cup of apple seeds, he must be crazy, very bitter (go figure) and hard to swallow.
              WB

              --- In mailto:new_distillers%40yahoogroups.com, White Bear wrote:

              > GGB-
              >   As an herbalist, the amount of cyanide in apple pips is next to negligable.  You would have to eat over a pound of pips to feel any adverse effects.  I am sure that you don't have any where that amount in your apple juice.
              >   Manufactures of apple juice use a "distructive" type juicer and they process many more pounds of apples daily than you are doing.  If you still feel leary of your processing, toss it or make hard cider/apple wash and distill the wash.
              > WB
              >

              > ________________________________

            • RLB
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 25, 2013
                What I read is that if you ate .5 to 1 cup of apple seeds could cause death (It depends on the mass of the person).  Swallowing apple seed can cause leeching, and you could become ill.  All reports say a few seeds are are harmless.  What he did not tell use was the amount of apples used to make 15 L of juice.  Yes, there is cyanide in the juice, but not as much as if the seeds were there to.

                I would dump it.  Safety first.

                Robert

                Check out how much a cup of apple seeds weighs.  If you could find that article, I would like to see it.
                P.S.  If someone was going to eat a cup of apple seeds, he must be crazy, very bitter (go figure) and hard to swallow.
                WB

                A newspaper report said a cup of apple seeds killed a person who indulged on his birthday!
                wal

                --- In mailto:new_distillers%40yahoogroups.com, White Bear wrote:

                > GGB-
                >   As an herbalist, the amount of cyanide in apple pips is next to negligable.  You would have to eat over a pound of pips to feel any adverse effects.  I am sure that you don't have any where that amount in your apple juice.
                >   Manufactures of apple juice use a "distructive" type juicer and they process many more pounds of apples daily than you are doing.  If you still feel leary of your processing, toss it or make hard cider/apple wash and distill the wash.
                > WB
                >

                > ________________________________

              • girlguidebiscuit
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 25, 2013
                  I spoke with a contact here who has made apple cider and apple cider vinegar commercially for 40 years. He says fire ahead, no problem, and he told me about the 10hp grinders they used to use. Good news!

                  Check out how much a cup of apple seeds weighs.  If you could find that article, I would like to see it.
                  P.S.  If someone was going to eat a cup of apple seeds, he must be crazy, very bitter (go figure) and hard to swallow.
                  WB

                  A newspaper report said a cup of apple seeds killed a person who indulged on his birthday!
                  wal

                  --- In mailto:new_distillers%40yahoogroups.com, White Bear wrote:

                  > GGB-
                  >   As an herbalist, the amount of cyanide in apple pips is next to negligable.  You would have to eat over a pound of pips to feel any adverse effects.  I am sure that you don't have any where that amount in your apple juice.
                  >   Manufactures of apple juice use a "distructive" type juicer and they process many more pounds of apples daily than you are doing.  If you still feel leary of your processing, toss it or make hard cider/apple wash and distill the wash.
                  > WB
                  >

                  > ________________________________

                • mav
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 27, 2013
                    "If a seed weighs 0.7 grams, then you'd need to munch your way through 143 seeds."

                    From http://tinyurl.com/azuoxzn

                    Cheers
                    Marc

                    Ps, If the tinyurl don't work paste it into the address bar.

                    --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, RLB <last2blast@...> wrote:

                    > What I read is that if you ate .5 to 1 cup of apple seeds could cause death (It depends on the mass of the person).  Swallowing apple seed can cause leeching, and you could become ill.  All reports say a few seeds are are harmless.  What he did not tell use was the amount of apples used to make 15 L of juice.  Yes, there is cyanide in the juice, but not as much as if the seeds were there to.
                    >
                    > I would dump it.  Safety first.
                    >
                    > Robert

                  • RLB
                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 27, 2013
                      My reading said a bushel of apples, so 143 apple seeds would be about correct.

                      Robert

                      "If a seed weighs 0.7 grams, then you'd need to munch your way through 143 seeds."

                      From http://tinyurl.com/azuoxzn