Aluminium or stainless steel for the boiler

  • steander@y7mail.com
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 23, 2013
      Going to start distilling after a three year break and do not wish to spend all day cooking two washes, one after the other as i used too, so I am planing on buying a keg.

      What is the recommended material for the boiler to be made out of. I believe I read somewhere a couple of years ago it should be stainless as aluminium can leave a residue in or taint the spirit.

      Any help on this subject would be appreciated.

      Steve
    • Jim Graves
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 24, 2013
        Stainless or copper, NEVER Alum.  It will poison you...

        James D. Graves
        Ravenwood Solutions, llc.
        251-533-8569

        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 25, 2013
          Do not use aluminum!!!! Stainless or copper only!!!!

            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 25, 2013
              I know it's common wisdom not to use aluminum for a boiler, but I've used aluminum pressure cookers for 40 years, making some very nice clean spirits. I'll agree that an aluminum stock pot makes a lousy boiler for mechanical reasons, and perhaps they are thin enough to pit through, but I've never seen a sign of a pit, even in one boiler used for 16 years. Also, I'd never think of brewing beer in aluminum, but does anyone know what volatile aluminum compound comes out in the distillate?

              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Bill Rogers <bill.rogers@...> wrote:

              > use stainless or copper. good luck!
              >

              > On Sun, Feb 24, 2013 at 12:46 AM, steander@...
              > steander@...wrote:
              >
              > > **
              > >

              > > Going to start distilling after a three year break and do not wish to
              > > spend all day cooking two washes, one after the other as i used too, so I
              > > am planing on buying a keg.
              > >
              > > What is the recommended material for the boiler to be made out of. I
              > > believe I read somewhere a couple of years ago it should be stainless as
              > > aluminium can leave a residue in or taint the spirit.
              > >
              > > Any help on this subject would be appreciated.
              > >
              > > Steve

            • fatbloke
              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 25, 2013
                I don't know about which volatile ali compounds that might cause probems.

                The "don't use ali" thing probably stems from when it was thought that there were links to alzhiemer/parkinsons.....

                Which has been emphatically disproved.

                I was thinking more along the lines of acid/base reaction with ali. Giving a greater chance of a metalic sort of taste too the distillates. Or not having copper in the vapour path and sulphides not being removed by to process....

                Plus stainless being more inert than ali, and copper having the properties that we know and love...... :-D

              • steander@y7mail.com
                Message 7 of 18 , Mar 1, 2013
                  Thanks all for your reply's, now the hardest part will be finding a stainless keg as all i can find is aluminium ones.

                  Steve
                • M L
                  Message 8 of 18 , Mar 1, 2013
                    Keep a piece of  magnet with you to test with. It'll stick to stainless steel .

                    Thanks all for your reply's, now the hardest part will be finding a stainless keg as all i can find is aluminium ones.

                    Steve

                  • bobcrowder2001
                    Message 9 of 18 , Mar 1, 2013

                      True SS is not magnetic.  Usually food grade is not magnetic.  Lots of store pots are made with steel and then chromium and nickel and that is magnetic. True stainless  has no iron or steel in it and is not magnetic.

                      Bob c

                    • Fredrick Lee
                      Message 10 of 18 , Mar 1, 2013
                        I own a brewery; Ive never seen an aluminum keg. I'm sure they exist, but 99.999% of kegs are matte stainless.

                        Message 11 of 18 , Mar 1, 2013
                          A magnet will not generally stick to 304 and 316L stainless kegs. If there are kegs made of other materials, I have not seen them.

                          Message 12 of 18 , Mar 2, 2013
                            Erm......SS = stainless STEEL.  It's the non-ferrous elements added to steel that make it non-magnetic.

                            The fact that it's steel of any kind means it contains iron. It's the %'s of the non-ferrous elements that render it food/chemical/surgical/whatever grade.

                            Google will easily provide a full list of "ingredients" for the various alloys.....

                            bob@... wrote:

                            True SS is not magnetic.  Usually food grade is not magnetic.  Lots of store pots are made with steel and then chromium and nickel and that is magnetic. True stainless  has no iron or steel in it and is not magnetic.

                            Bob c

                          • Chris Cameron
                            Message 13 of 18 , Mar 2, 2013
                              Where do you live? I don't think I've ever seen an aluminum keg. Better double check.

                              On Fri, Mar 1, 2013 at 2:08 PM, steander@... <steander@...> wrote:

                              Thanks all for your reply's, now the hardest part will be finding a stainless keg as all i can find is aluminium ones.

                              Steve

                            • girlguidebiscuit
                              Message 14 of 18 , Mar 2, 2013
                                Full explanation here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stainless_steel#Types_of_stainless_steel

                                Message 15 of 18 , Mar 2, 2013

                                  Should have said less iron instead of no iron or steel. Thanks for the correction.

                                  Bob c

                                  Full explanation here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stainless_steel#Types_of_stainless_steel

                                    True SS is not magnetic.  Usually food grade is not magnetic.  Lots of store pots are made with steel and then chromium and nickel and that is magnetic. True stainless  has no iron or steel in it and is not magnetic.

                                  Bob c

                                • Alex Netherton
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Mar 2, 2013
                                    Read closer. True stainless is indeed ferrous (contains iron), but the crystal structure is such that it is not magnetic. Can't call it steel if it ain't. Stainless contains different amounts of Chromium, Nickel, Cobalt, Molybdenum, what have you, such that some formulations, like the steel in Swiss Army Knives, is magnetic, where, say, the shafts of turbochargers have so much of another metal that they aren't. In an automotive re-manufacturing shop, we tossed stainless in the same scrap bin as other steel. Non-ferrous metals went somewhere else.
                                    Alex Netherton
                                    Blue Ridge Discovery

                                    Message 17 of 18 , Mar 2, 2013
                                      I cut out the top of an old Coors keg for my brew pot. Yep, a magnet sticks, also sticks to my stock pot but not to the lid that came with it . Hmm, that's strange.Guess the lid is a purer steel. And my stainless kitchen knives are stuck to a magnetic bar on the wall.
                                      A magnet will not generally stick to 304 and 316L stainless kegs. If there are kegs made of other materials, I have not seen them.
                                      pot but not to the lid that came with it , Hmm, strange that.
                                      On Mar 1, 2013, at 7:14 PM, M L <kekedog13@...> wrote:

                                      Keep a piece of  magnet with you to test with. It'll stick to stainless steel .

                                      Thanks all for your reply's, now the hardest part will be finding a stainless keg as all i can find is aluminium ones.

                                      Steve

                                    • o1bigtenor
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Mar 3, 2013
                                        On Fri, Mar 1, 2013 at 4:14 PM, M L <kekedog13@...> wrote:

                                        Keep a piece of  magnet with you to test with. It'll stick to stainless steel .

                                        No it won't. A 300 series stainless will not hold a magnet a 400 series will. I have forgotten which is which but you have the ferritic, martensitic and austenitic.

                                        Your 316 is a very common SS so is 304.

                                        (Machinist/pressure welder here.)              D