stuck wash

  • StephenA
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 23, 2013
      I apologize in advance if this is a little wordy.

      I'm fermenting a cracked corn and rye wash with 8 lbs of sugar in 5 gallons of water. I'm on my 8th day with it and the airlock only lets out a bubble every 25 seconds (been that way now for the last 6 days). SG is 1.08 and still tastes sugary as hell. I'm using reverse osmosis water and started with 2 packets of champaign yeast. I'm on my 3rd run. 1st 2 washes i didnt even know to check SG before and after. got me some equipment and decided to get a little more aggressive with my wash. this is my 2nd wash using RO water. 1st went ok but in retrospect probably still had a lot of sugar in it. I confess I didnt rehydrate my yeast at 1st, did some more reading and decided to add another packet of champaign yeast after rehydrating it for 30 min and adding sugar and letting it foam. added the new rehydrated yeast about 4 days ago. doesnt seem to have helped much. Any way I can get it going again? any ideas what to do different? if my problem was dry yeast, shouldnt adding a yeast starter have helped?
    • White Bear
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 24, 2013
        Stephen-
          IMHO - too much sugar for 5-gallons.  I have done the cornflake whiskey recipe and found that 7lbs. of sugar leaves the wash with a lot of sugar left afterwords.  After the stripping run, I did a little experiment.  I took the sg and it read 1.037, or there abouts.  After cooling down to 80°F, I repitched the wash with "Red Star" yeast.  It works!  After it stopped bubbling I checked the sg and it read  0.098.
          After stripping I had a pretty good amount of product, from just a second pitch, no other sugar was added.  So, If I could get two runs from 7lbs. initial sugar, your 8lbs. should also give you a second fermentation.  You may need to top back up to 5-gallons but, check the sg before pitching your yeast, and after fermentation stops. Like I said, it worked for me.
        White Bear

        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 24, 2013
          Stephen-
            You didn't say what is the temp of the wash?  Does it fluctuate (being in the sun and at night in the shade or cool house).  Another thought, champagne yeast is made more for fruit washes and may not be compatable for your corn / rye based mash.  Was your yeast fresh?  These yeasts for fruit washes do have a short shelf life IMHO. Just a few things to consider.
          WB

[...]

        • RLB
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 24, 2013
            You may want to raise your yeast before pitching.  In my newest sugar wash, yeast was started in a large plastic cup filled half way with wash.  Within 2 hrs., a second large cup had to be used for my yearst.  All that was done to it: Swirl cups every 15 min. and cover them with a paper towel.  Doing that way tells you how well your yeast is doing.  The more yeast that goes into at the beginning it will change more sugar into to ethanol.  Right now, I am trying to find what is the optimal amount of yeast to pitch for the amount of sugar in my container for the fastest results without going turbo.

            Robert

[...]

          • Jim Graves
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 24, 2013
              Take the top off and leave it open to the atmosphere with just a towl over it to keep the bugs out.  Use EC1118 yeast and you won't have this problem in the future.  Make sure its warm, I use black food grade plastic barrels and put them in the southeast corner of my house where they get sun almost all day.  You really don't have to get to elaborate in making this stuff, just remember 100 years ago they had nothing like we do today.  Good luck!

              James D. Graves
              Ravenwood Solutions, llc.
              251-533-8569

[...]

            • Ric Cunningham
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 25, 2013
                You have a bad case of unhappy yeast.

                First the SG of just the sugar to is 1.040. You don't state the amount of corn or rye so I can't do the calculation on that.
                Second RO water is not good for fermentation. Yeast need lots of nutrients and a high sugar wash has none and RO water has none. Clean spring or drinking water are best due to the mineral content that the yeast can use for metabolic processes. Adding some yeast nutrient will help a lot in the future. Homebrewing suppliers have many different types and some us a touch of Miracle grow. If you have a high alcohol environment the new yeast will not do any good without the proper nutrient load. I am on the fence about rehydrating yeast but you definitely need to get some nutrients in the wash. It is probably too late for this batch but you can do better next time. The Brewers Association has a book called Yeast that is a great resource on helping grow happpy and healthy yeast.

                --
                US Navy - 100% on watch
              • M L
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 25, 2013
                  I have found that a tsp. of Epsom Salts, a tsp. of yeast nutrient and a very vigorous stir, like with a paint stirring devise on an electric drill does wonders to re-start a seemingly stuck ferment. And the addition of a newly re-hydrated batch of yeast doesn't hurt either.