Quality Spirits

  • last2blast
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 23, 2013
      As a test, I purchased 200 ml of the cheapest vodka from a local liqueur store as a base for my first finish run. Now I have a good idea what not to keep as drinkable spirits. That one small sip gave me a headache, so it has to be heads that was nasty stuff.

      If you are a newbie to distillation like myself, I would suggest that you go out and sample the cheapest spirits you can find as a means of knowing what you don't want to produce from your still.

      Robert
    • Alex Netherton
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 23, 2013
        Remember that vodka is a "grain" spirit, from some unnamed grain, or even potatoes; moonshine, for the "real thing" (not cola) is made of corn, sometimes with a bit of rye for spice or wheat for smoothness. Most of the s&*t seen on the Discovery Channel "Moonshiners" is "sugar whiskey" or "sugar jack", that is made from sugar, water, and yeast. Vodka can be made this way.

        There is, after all, a tradition that can be kept alive here, or at least revived, the making of "old time Mountain Dew" which was only one of many names. Others were "Sweet Spirits of cats a fightin'", "Panther P___s", "Bust head", "Stump Hole", "Stump Water" and many more. The product of a well run Mountain still was clear as spring water, had a sweet scent of flowers, fresh corn, and maybe smoke, if they dried the malted grain over a fire or in the smokehouse. The taste was smooth for some makers, fiery for others (some liked a "bite", which led some makers to add lighter fluid, methanol, lye and other chemicals, which could get the moonshiner killed if discovered, and could kill customers), and had flavor profiles that varied from sweet corn to smoky, to, some said "flowery", depending on the makeup of the mash - some used honey in it.

        There is a good old book called "Mountain Spirits" that can be found on Amazon that tells a lot about it.
        Alex Netherton
        Blue Ridge Discovery

        On 2/23/2013 3:16 AM, last2blast wrote:

        As a test, I purchased 200 ml of the cheapest vodka from a local liqueur store as a base for my first finish run. Now I have a good idea what not to keep as drinkable spirits. That one small sip gave me a headache, so it has to be heads that was nasty stuff.

        If you are a newbie to distillation like myself, I would suggest that you go out and sample the cheapest spirits you can find as a means of knowing what you don't want to produce from your still.

        Robert

      • Jim Graves
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 23, 2013
          Please make sure you let you product set overnight, uncovered (just a cloth over it) before you judge your end result.  I am running now and get in a 12 gal batch, about a quart of heads, three quarts hearts and the tails I stopped at 40% and got thee quarts of them.  A very destinctive smell from each of the three.  Today after letting them set over night, there is very little odor, smell, scent what ever you want to call it and a very destinctive taste between them.  I mix them all back together and make apple pie and it is running around 110-115% and boy is it GOOD!

          Moral of the story is: don't be to quick to say something is not up to your standards, and if it isn't, lower your standards!!!!!

          James D. Graves
          Ravenwood Solutions, llc.
          251-533-8569

          As a test, I purchased 200 ml of the cheapest vodka from a local liqueur store as a base for my first finish run. Now I have a good idea what not to keep as drinkable spirits. That one small sip gave me a headache, so it has to be heads that was nasty stuff.

          If you are a newbie to distillation like myself, I would suggest that you go out and sample the cheapest spirits you can find as a means of knowing what you don't want to produce from your still.

          Robert

        • RLB
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 24, 2013
            How much Ethanol evaporates overnight by leaving it uncovered?  My future plans involve industrial and non-industrial uses with heads and tails being use for industrial and hearts strictly spirits.  Most guys like a kick in their spirits, but women prefer flavor and smoothness (Intended market group).  Also known as loving whiskey rather than fighting whiskey.

            Robert

            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 24, 2013
              In my experience, none to very little.  I have had straight sugar washes that had to sit for weeks because I was offshore and when I ran them, I got the same amount of alcohol out of them that I did from freshly made washes.  Just an added note, I never use an air tight container for my washes, no air locks, just open to the atmosphere with a cloth to keep the bugs out.  I have a sour mash going right now and just finished the 4th run on it.  Uncle Jess is right, its just keeps getting better and better with each run.  Now I have a reflux still, but run it full open, no reflux and it tastes just great.

              James D. Graves
              Ravenwood Solutions, llc.
              251-533-8569