Re: ok

  • Rich Hays
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 22, 2013
      So what recipe did you use for your banana mash?

      Sent from my iPad
    • Damion Pseudonym
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 22, 2013
        Yeah, I gotta say, I kinda really wish this one came with pictures....

        On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 5:32 PM, <self.adhesive@...> wrote:

        wow what a thought banana everywhere

        I just tried a banana mash just 5 gal, thank god it was in my shower about 1:00am a big boom brought me up out of the bed lol I had banana mash all over the bath room what whint wrong added no shugar and used on pack of yeast the brew store give me what tha hell man ????????

        I am riding in the Aids Life Cycle SF ---> LA ride this year, Please Consider Helping!
      • tgfoitwoods
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 23, 2013
          I think it's because so many of us started as winemakers and brewers, where it's important that whatever you bottle and put away for a while, at 4-14%ABV, needs to be pretty sanitary, and the smaller the fermenter (the hobbyists 5 or 6 gallons as opposed to a commercial 3,000 or 5,000 gallon) is harder to keep sanitary.

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, RLB <last2blast@...> wrote:

          > I kind of wonder why we use airlocks too!  I watched a Seagram vid and they had a 10,000 gal vats room that were wide open.  Moonshines never seem to use them either.  My first guess would be wild yeast and bacteria.  Years ago, I made a sugar wine that was 19 abv and my containers were never sealed and used an airlock.  I will say one thing about using an airlock is that it keeps the odor down if you live in an apartment building.
          >
          > In my next experiment, I will test 5 gal. airlock sugar wash verses 5 gal sugar wash with a cover loosely placed on top.  I am waiting for warmer weather before using grains,so my windows can stay open 24/7
          >
          > Robert

          ----snip----
        • RLB
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 23, 2013
            With that said, I will make adjustments to that part of my wash and wort process accordingly.  I will have to try bananas because a local store sells spotted bananas half price.  We talk about grains a great deal as in corn, so I really need to try fresh corn right out of the field , canned corn, and cracked corn in my experiments.  My hope is to avoid boiling with fresh and canned corn.

            Robert

            I think it's because so many of us started as winemakers and brewers, where it's important that whatever you bottle and put away for a while, at 4-14%ABV, needs to be pretty sanitary, and the smaller the fermenter (the hobbyists 5 or 6 gallons as opposed to a commercial 3,000 or 5,000 gallon) is harder to keep sanitary.

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, RLB <last2blast@...> wrote:

            > I kind of wonder why we use airlocks too!  I watched a Seagram vid and they had a 10,000 gal vats room that were wide open.  Moonshines never seem to use them either.  My first guess would be wild yeast and bacteria.  Years ago, I made a sugar wine that was 19 abv and my containers were never sealed and used an airlock.  I will say one thing about using an airlock is that it keeps the odor down if you live in an apartment building.
            >
            > In my next experiment, I will test 5 gal. airlock sugar wash verses 5 gal sugar wash with a cover loosely placed on top.  I am waiting for warmer weather before using grains,so my windows can stay open 24/7
            >
            > Robert

            ----snip----

          • Ric Cunningham
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 25, 2013
              corn mash is traditionally made with corn grits or course ground corn meal. To access the starch you need to gelatinize the meal. Mix with water cook at a low boil for about 15 minutes. Mix this with the rest of your grain mash at 150 degrees F for conversion. This is how the big boys (ABInbev/SABMiller) make most of their beer.

              ----snip----

              --
              US Navy - 100% on watch
            • daryl_bee
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 25, 2013
                This sounds like the time I added a heap of DAP (di-amonium phosphate) nutrient to a stuck 10 gallon ferment (stuck at about 12%) at near midnight. It seemed a reasonable idea at the time. The fermentor (totally open to add the DAP) was on the kitchen table inside a 2ft x 4ft x 3in catch tray. I was totally unprepared for the resulting "volcano". There must have been 4 cubic feet of frothing mash exiting the fermentor (do the math on the catch tray). It started like the Bellagio and subsided like a cascading 4 sided waterfall out of the fermentor, off the kitchen table and chairs onto the floor. Clean-up was like walking with moon boots given all the stickiness. I was in the dog-house for a while after that one.

                FWIW the bomb effect is due to rapid CO2 release out of solution. "A little DAP will do ya" :-)

                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 25, 2013
                  12%?  It's ready to distill, so not likely stuck.  Rather finished fermenting.  I only use 1 tbsp DAP per gal. with EC-1118 yeast.  If you use too much DAP with ec-1118 you can make a turbo like yeast, but that turbo yeast might take an added charcoal filter step to remove a stale taste.

                  Robert

                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Donnie" wrote:

                  > I just tried a banana mash just 5 gal, thank god it was in my shower about 1:00am a big boom brought me up out of the bed lol I had banana mash all over the bath room what whint wrong added no shugar and used on pack of yeast the brew store give me what tha hell man ????????

                • Stephen Arnold
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 26, 2013
                    well that was one of the more entertaining posts I've read lol. volcano? bilagio? cascading waterfall? you've just about talked me into trying this