Re: More specific newbie questions:

  • tgfoitwoods
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 20, 2013
      Hey Damion,

      Thanks(shuffle, blush) I'm glad it's working.

      On the wine I distilled in the book, I only reserved 4 ounces out of ~1500 ml.
      Your first mistake was trying to control the head temperature by varying the heat input. You just turn the heat on high until you are almost at the boil and then turn it down to where it's just a simmering boil. Its boiling point will be whatever physics and the various liquid condentration in your wash say it will be, unless you turn the heat down so far that heat loss (bad, on this tiny still) stops your wash from boiling, and then head temp plummets. Admittedly, if you have the heat way up, liquid will evaporate faster, and the ABV will change faster, and the head temp will also change faster.

      After it starts boiling, just hold it at a simmer and let it take care of its own temperature.
      Sooner or later, you'll want a "Proof and Traille" hydrometer, specifically for testing the ABV of already-distilled spiirits (it won't work at all on your wash). If you ever get to Redding, find Jay at NorCal Brewing Solutions. He's used to working with distillers and has lots of knowledge and good stuff.
      First off, your undiluted spirit is probably 130 proof, and yes, by the sound of it, you have some heads in there. Diluting is not "required" as such, but most people will, just so the spirit is drinkable.
      In distilling, almost nothing is ever a writeoff; you can alsways re-distill. Instead of throwing away the heads and tails, which have lots of ethanol and flavor in them (but still throw away that first sample, the foreshots), save them and combine the outputs of 2 or 3 runs, load all that back into the still, and then do a spirit run. With the increased wash ABV, you'll see longer gentler temperature curves, and you'll have more time to make your cuts. Do yourself a favor and don't try to make the cuts (at first) while the still is running. Air out the distillate and make the cuts the next day or 2.
      Your output seems to be in the ballpark.
      You're very welcome. (You'd have had this sooner but the damned Yahoo reply ate the first one)