new to this hobby

  • cookin_e85
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 19, 2013
      But I have READ a TON.... I purchased a nixon stone offset head still and have it sitting atop a 15.5 gal keg as the pot. this reflux still has 2 ports for temp probes... I have a guide to the approx temps and such for the cuts.. (Taste smell and touch will be the determining factor) however.. one port at the top of the condensor coil and one port at the top of the column...

      My 1st question is... Where to take the readings for the cuts? top of the column or top of the condensor ?

      there is a ton of info out there for a pot still but not a lot or this offset head one. I may have to do this trial and error which is fine... But any information would be greatly appreciated... I have not fired it up yet at all... I will be running my first clean up run in the next few days 50/50 vinegar/water x 2 then a simple sugar mash just to push out alcohol to finish out the cleaning process...

      At the moment I have no cooling on the output just the condensor, what are your guys thoughts on this? since its a reflux its already condensed so no real need for the external cooling?

      Any input or an idiots guide to this type would be awesome...

      Thanks
    • cookin_e85
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 28, 2013
        Any ideas? Anyone.. still have not had a chance to do the cleaning run.. work in my way...