Grain Cokking Temp

  • last2blast
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 18, 2013
      What is the perfect temp to cook each grain or is there just one temp that will do for all grains.

      I ask because I have seen many different temps listed.

      Robert
    • Fredrick Lee
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 18, 2013
        The reason there are different temperatures for mashing grains is because, along with pH, each temperature range activates different enzymes.

        image.jpeg

        If your grain has more starch or proteins you adjust the temp and pH accordingly, so you can extract more sugars.

        Remember that these enzymes will work at these temps only until they are denatured (this starts at about 75°C or 168°F). Once this occurs, you cannot turn the starches or proteins into sugar, and you're just wasting grains.

        Maltsters will typically provide a data sheet with the malt that you buy that will tell you how much protein, starch, distatic power, and many other characteristics of the grains. These numbers aren't fixed per se, and reading the sheet can tell you lots about your end flavor.

        This link should get you started with the malt sheet:

        If your malt didn't come with one, ask for it. Malt we buy has a sheet stapled to each bag, or at least one for the pallet. You can also always look up the lot number and look online. If you don't know where your grain came from, you can spend about $125USD and have it analyzed in a lab.

        On Feb 18, 2013, at 4:42 PM, "last2blast" <last2blast@...> wrote:

        What is the perfect temp to cook each grain or is there just one temp that will do for all grains.

        I ask because I have seen many different temps listed.

        Robert

      • RLB
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 18, 2013
          Looks like 165 F is the max temp. for amylase and start out with a higher pH 8.5 then return it to 5.7.  Thanks for the info.

          Robert

          http://braukaiser.com/wiki/images/b/be/PH_and_temp_enzyme_matrix.jpg

          http://morebeer.com/brewingtechniques/bmg/noonan.html