Re: [new_distillers] Fermentation

  • RLB
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 18, 2013
      I had a batch ferment for 35 days before I did a stripping run, and it would have gone longer.  If it tastes bitter, it's ready.

      Robert

      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 18, 2013
        test it with a hydrometer.

        On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 11:35 AM, Derek <justweldit41@...> wrote:

        My mash has been going for six or seven days now, And I'm still getting small bubbles coming up through it but it is cleared up pretty good, It doesn't have a sweet taste, So my question is, is it done now or do I need to wait longer.

      • David Eastham
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 18, 2013
          Why dont you invest in a hydrometer, takes the guess work out of the equation. In answer to your question, yes its probably done.
          Dave E
          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Derek" <justweldit41@...> wrote:

          > My mash has been going for six or seven days now, And I'm still getting small bubbles coming up through it but it is cleared up pretty good, It doesn't have a sweet taste, So my question is, is it done now or do I need to wait longer.

        • White Bear
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 18, 2013
            Derek-
            I agree with Dave, it is done.  I made wine for 40+ years most of them without a hydrometer and have come up with some very fine stuff.  Check out your fermentation lock and count the times it bubbles.  If it is above 1 per minute it is done and ready for your next step.

            White Bear

            P.S. Do invest in a hydrometer, there is more to it then just checking if your mash is done.

            --- In mailto:new_distillers%40yahoogroups.com, "Derek" wrote:

            > My mash has been going for six or seven days now, And I'm still getting small bubbles coming up through it but it is cleared up pretty good, It doesn't have a sweet taste, So my question is, is it done now or do I need to wait longer.

          • Derek
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 18, 2013
              Thank you Dave and White Bear,
              I had bought a hydrometer, but it was for distilled product, so ill have to get another one, thank you for the info. This is my first mash so its all new to me.
              Thanks again

              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 18, 2013