Re: Just how dangerous is it?

  • Hopefull
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 17, 2013

      Any time flammable vapors can contact flame it can be dangerous The main question is what the risk and that is so variable as it can be safer inside with a very well ventilated room the outside on a windless day so the only totally safe way is go electric which limits you to a 5-10 gal still with a 1500w hot plate which works quite well on a 5 gallon but get slower the larger you get so at 10 gal slow but ok. But over that you need more heat, which forces you into commercial grade electric which is expensive/ limited availability  or gas.

      So gas while reality safe you just have to always remember it can be dangerous so keep the area clean and ventilated and if there no wind add a fan or two to add in ventilation.

      But for me I stick with a 1500 watt hotplate

    • ahandyman59
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 18, 2013

        If the specific concern is with your alcohol burner, then there is some justification for concern. A lot of boats over the years have burned because of alcohol based stoves. One of the problems with alcohol burners is that alcohol burns with a blue flame that can be hard do see, so you may not realize you've had a leak and flame is spreading until you get secondary fires starting.

        Like others have said, you should probably replace the alcohol burner. Alcohol burns at a pretty low (relatively speaking) temperature. This will end up making the long distilling process even longer. Waiting for a "kettle to boil" is boring... Go with propane or a white gas (coleman) stove. They put out a lot of heat and are much more controllable...

        ahandyman59

        On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 22:46:51 -0000, "Mark" <stagof7@...> wrote:

        To take the plunge into distilling I got an alembic pot still with an alcohol burner as heat source. So far I've distilled a bit of water to try it out and check for leaks. A couple of people I've spoken to have warned me that the open flame alcohol burner is very dangerous. If I use tubing to direct the distillate from the condenser a foot or so from the flame is there really any danger?

        And "thank you" to all for the advice I've already received from the members here.

        Mark

        .

      • RLB
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 18, 2013
          Another example of how poor ethanol is as a heating source: Years ago car salesmen spurted alcohol onto auto hoods and set them on fire to show that its paint was almost indestructible.  It was nothing more than a gimmick because of the way alcohol burns above the surface and water protects it from damaging paint.

          Robert