agave

  • Donnie
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 17, 2013
      eany of you ever use pure agave whater a yeast??
    • RLB
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 17, 2013
        Just read up on agave.  Interesting!  It might be worth it to go down south and mixing barrels of agave wort and bring those barrels north to finish fermenting to distill.  Stirring is good, so that long drive back would keep it will stirred.  I wonder how well they would do in a northern greenhouse?

        Robert

        eany of you ever use pure agave whater a yeast??

      • jsducote
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 18, 2013
          Dry/powdered agave nectar is widely available and more easily transported than barrels of wort. If you can't find it in your local supermarket, try the asian or hispanic markets if you have one near you. It's often labelled as cactus honey. Is it exactly the same? No, of course not, but I imagine it's close enough for experimentation. It's widely used as a honey substitute although it's a lot more fructose than glucose, as opposed to honey, which is about equal parts fruc/gluc (wikipedia). It does have a honey-like flavor to it, so consider that in your recipe. It's more expensive than plain sugar, so I would think it should be used as an ingredient for its taste (pot/low-reflux still) as opposed to its price.

          As for your northern greenhouse, I hope you have several acres and even more patience.
          -j

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, RLB <last2blast@...> wrote:

          > Just read up on agave.  Interesting!  It might be worth it to go down south and mixing barrels of agave wort and bring those barrels north to finish fermenting to distill.  Stirring is good, so that long drive back would keep it will stirred.  I wonder how well they would do in a northern greenhouse?
          >
          > Robert
          >
          > ________________________________

        • ahandyman59
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 18, 2013

            You're talking about the basis of tequila, right?

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, RLB wrote:

            > Just read up on agave.  Interesting!  It might be worth it to go down south and mixing barrels of agave wort and bring those barrels north to finish fermenting to distill.  Stirring is good, so that long drive back would keep it will stirred.  I wonder how well they would do in a northern greenhouse?
            >
            > Robert

            .

          • RLB
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 18, 2013
              Yes, I was thinking about experimenting with tequila too.

              Robert