Re: [new_distillers] Malting

  • John Rucker
    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 14, 2013
      I basically treat grains, corn, etc. like I do any all grain beer recipe and do the mash/lauter process, but then again I've been brewing for 30 years and have equipment to do it. For a 5 gallon batch, I use 1.25 quarts of water per pound of grain and let the grains steep for an hour at 155 F in a mash/lauter tun (aka a converted cooler), slowly drain off the liquid produced and re-run it through the mash tun and then sparge it by running 5 gallons of 180F water through the grain. Then I boil the mixture for an hour.

      Pretty much your basic all grain brewing, although many folks don't do the optional double mash and of course there are no hops involved.

      For cooling, the conventional methods are either an ice/water bath or a wort chiller (or plate chillers - even fancier and more expensive).

      What you might consider - and I've been brewing beer like this the past year with no issues - is to do it Australian "no chill" style and basically leave your hot wort in the fermenter, with the air lock in place to keep the bad stuff from getting in, and then adding the yeast the following day after it has cooled sufficiently.  Beer yeast is a tad more sensitive than the dried champagne yeast I've used for fermentation experiments so depending on when you create your mash, you may be able to add yeast later the same day. Me, I'm old and lazy and just add yeast the following morning.

      Here's a link or you can google "no chill beer"  Like I say, I've had no issues with a variety of beer types and I figure wash is considerably less picky than mash is.

      On Feb 14, 2013, at 1:07 PM, Bill Rogers <bill.rogers@...> wrote:

      to cool it, look at what the beer guys do for wort chillers and such.

      On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 9:19 AM, RLB <last2blast@...> wrote:

      Thanks!  I was hoping that malting all my grains would eliminate the cooking process because it will be very difficult for me to maintain grain temp at 150 F for an hour and then rapidly cool it to add yeast.

      Robert

      Message 2 of 20 , Mar 3 2:11 PM
        Hello my favorite forum. I have malted barley in the past so I am familiar with the process. Now I am considering sprouting some grain and tossing that right in the kettle to convert my non-malted grain.

        My question, "Is the kilning/drying actually necessary for conversion?"

        A beer brewer reminded me about the wet milling issue and I figured there's no need to count on the minimal malt for starch so no need to crack. Without cracking, though, are the enzymes still dispersed? Has anyone ever mashed non-heated or dried malt? If so, did the wet malt have less of the flavor you'd normally expect from your malt, pre and post distillation? Is it even called malt if it hasn't been roasted or dried?

        Thanks!
        Whitney.
      • waljaco
        Message 3 of 20 , Mar 3 9:53 PM
          Green malt is used by homedistillers for converting. You need to wet dried malt anyway to activate the enzymes.
          wal

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "ballard_bootlegger" <meriwetherdistilleries@...> wrote:

          > Hello my favorite forum. I have malted barley in the past so I am familiar with the process. Now I am considering sprouting some grain and tossing that right in the kettle to convert my non-malted grain.
          >
          > My question, "Is the kilning/drying actually necessary for conversion?"
          >
          > A beer brewer reminded me about the wet milling issue and I figured there's no need to count on the minimal malt for starch so no need to crack. Without cracking, though, are the enzymes still dispersed? Has anyone ever mashed non-heated or dried malt? If so, did the wet malt have less of the flavor you'd normally expect from your malt, pre and post distillation? Is it even called malt if it hasn't been roasted or dried?
          >
          > Thanks!
          > Whitney.

        • ballard_bootlegger
          Message 4 of 20 , Mar 4 12:05 PM
            Thanks Wal. I'm going to give this a shot with a little rye. I'll report any difference in taste or performance.

            > Green malt is used by homedistillers for converting. You need to wet dried malt anyway to activate the enzymes.
            > wal

          • waljaco
            Message 5 of 20 , Mar 4 4:35 PM
              The green sprouting part is not particularly wanted as it contains substances to prevent bugs eating it - in dried malt it is removed.
              wal

              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "ballard_bootlegger" <meriwetherdistilleries@...> wrote:

              > Thanks Wal. I'm going to give this a shot with a little rye. I'll report any difference in taste or performance.
              >
              > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "waljaco" <waljaco@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Green malt is used by homedistillers for converting. You need to wet dried malt anyway to activate the enzymes.
              > > wal

            • RLB
              Message 6 of 20 , Mar 4 4:40 PM
                Thank you, I did not think about that part.

                Robert

                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "ballard_bootlegger" wrote:

                > Thanks Wal. I'm going to give this a shot with a little rye. I'll report any difference in taste or performance.
                >
                > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "waljaco" wrote:
                > >
                > > Green malt is used by homedistillers for converting. You need to wet dried malt anyway to activate the enzymes.
                > > wal

              • ballard_bootlegger
                Message 7 of 20 , Mar 12 12:26 PM
                  Thanks Wal. I'm going to give this a shot with a little rye. I'll report any difference in taste or performance.

                  > Green malt is used by homedistillers for converting. You need to wet dried malt anyway to activate the enzymes.
                  > wal

                • last2blast
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jan 26, 2014
                    If group members are serious about hobby, moonshine, or legal distilling, I highly suggest that you take the time to really learn how to malt grains and how that malting process will change the flavor of your distillate.  We see TV shows like "Moonshiners" where they toss the grain into a stream and pull it out to sprout, and then dry it in the sun.  What I am learning about malting makes me shake my head in amazement because it truly is a science and art combined into one.

                    If you want to make a wonderfully flavored spirit, you need to learn the ins and outs of malting.  For example: You can malt grain to increase sugar content, and you can malt in such a way the will enhance enzymes or kill enzymes in grains.

                    Robert L. Bliven