Re: [new_distillers] Soap

  • Bill Rogers
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 14, 2013
      if you are concerned about sanitary conditions, google starsan.  it's a very easy to use sanitizer that is good for washes

      On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 5:27 PM, last2blast <last2blast@...> wrote:

      I know that they add a little soap to almost everything we eat to kill bacteria.

      Will a little soap harm a wash in anyway?

      Robert

    • Fredrick Lee
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 14, 2013
        Most soaps don't kill bacteria, they just decrease surface tension of water. Anti bacterial soaps usually contain triclosan or a similar chemical, which is extremely deadly to yeast, even in small amounts.

        On Feb 13, 2013, at 6:27 PM, "last2blast" <last2blast@...> wrote:

        I know that they add a little soap to almost everything we eat to kill bacteria.

        Will a little soap harm a wash in anyway?

        Robert

      • RLB
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 14, 2013
          Will soap reducing the surface tension of water harm a wash?

          I started a 5 gal sugar wash on the 13th, and noticed there was a little soap bubbles floating on top.  I started my yeast in a cup, and it almost instantly started producing CO2.  If this batch doesn't stall, it should give me between 5 and 7 qt. in my stripping run, and it would be disappointing to loose that much alcohol over a little soap.  Will start another 5 gal. in a few days as a control by rinsing it out even better than the first.

          Robert