All Grain Mash ( no sugar added )

  • hillbilly
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 10, 2013
      any here ever done an all grain mash with no sugar added?
      I am working with a recipe from around 1890 or so and it calls for 50lbs corn cracked and 5lbs barley sprouted and a handful of rye. my question is how big was the fellas hands? and barley sprouted i am assuming means just malted barley right? it started out at 1.002 on the SG last i checked it was around 1.006 or so what would be the all out finishing SG i used distillers yeast any help will b great thanks HBB.
    • Fredrick Lee
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 12, 2013
        You have to cook the mash to get sugar from the starch. Bringing it up to 149°F for an hour should do it. Don't go over 168°F before the hour is up or you will denature your enzymes.