Re: [new_distillers] My First Mash

  • RLB
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 9, 2013
      A reflux will do in one run what it will take a pot still to do after distilling 3 or 4 times.  For example: when you use a thumper with pot still you will obtain around 70% abv.  If you re-run your that product, you will achieve near 95% abv.  Remember that a pot still with a thumper is like you distilled it twice, and finishing it again is like you ran it 4 times.  If you use a thumper, you need to pour heads, tails, and poor quality hearts into it to charge it, or you will have to make 3 runs to properly charge a thumper before it will give to a quality hearts.  Yes, there are exceptions such as a very small thumper while you are running 1,000 gal wash.

      Robert

      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 10, 2013
        All good ideas and suggestions...and bourbon is an American style whiskey....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bourbon_whiskey