Re: My First Mash

  • DK
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 9, 2013
      Thank you, I am here to learn. No worries about anything other than getting it right so I have the best flavor I want.

      I know what I want, and I would rather make it than buy it. :)

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Bill Rogers wrote:

      > if you get 95% out of a potstill, you should write a book on your
      > pioneering techniques. also at 95% your ethanol with have nearly 0 flavor.
      > I don't really care for Weller (which is a bourbon, not a whiskey), but i
      > understand your goals. I think some more reading would help a lot,
      > especially with the basics of stills and ageing. I'm not trying to be
      > condescending but I believe you are missing some of the basics.
      >
      > pot stills = flavors and lower ABV
      > reflux = neutrals and higher abv.
      >
      > 95% is only going to be had from a reflux still and part of the process of
      > getting to 95% is stripping out the flavors. they go hand in hand. i
      > suppose you could try and age the vodka to turn it into a bourbon but... it
      > may not be the most efficient way to go about things.
      >
      > more reading!
      >

      > On Fri, Feb 8, 2013 at 12:25 PM, DK wrote:
      >
      > > **
      > >

      > > I was not be a whiskey person until I started working for my new boss a
      > > couple of years ago. Since then, I have become extremely interested in the
      > > chemistry behind making alcohol and shortening the aging process. This
      > > group has been extremely helpful. Thank you to all.
      > >
      > > After doing much research I have decided to attempt my first run. It will
      > > be an all grain mash. The below grains are what I've decided to try first.
      > > I only want to do all grain runs.
      > >
      > > 3 lbs Rahr Red Wheat
      > > 1 lb Briess Rye Malt
      > > 1 lb Flaked Maize
      > >
      > > When I purchased the above grains it was ran through a mill grinder.
      > >
      > > So I am a little confused as to whether or not I need to seep it or, as
      > > other literature has stated in this forum, I don't need to because it is
      > > already malted and flaked.
      > >
      > > After reading the literature suggested for Newbies I am thinking 1.5
      > > quarts of water per pound
      > >
      > > What I have not decided on is the type of yeast nor do I know how much
      > > that or anything else that I should use because this is such a small batch.
      > > I don't want to invest too much until I find what I like then go from there.
      > >
      > > The literature on using Beano and enzyme breakdown was very fascinating
      > > and am thinking of using it. I am great in a lab setting but my
      > > computational skills leave much to be desired. :)
      > >
      > > based upon the amount of grain & subsequent wash, what is the expected
      > > amount of return?
      > >
      > > Also, with the aging process I am thinking of using, I want my abv to be
      > > approx. 95% then dilute after aging.
      > >
      > > My goal taste would be a W.L. Weller 12 yr.
      > >
      > > Thank you for any help you might give this Newbie.

    • RLB
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 9, 2013
        A reflux will do in one run what it will take a pot still to do after distilling 3 or 4 times.  For example: when you use a thumper with pot still you will obtain around 70% abv.  If you re-run your that product, you will achieve near 95% abv.  Remember that a pot still with a thumper is like you distilled it twice, and finishing it again is like you ran it 4 times.  If you use a thumper, you need to pour heads, tails, and poor quality hearts into it to charge it, or you will have to make 3 runs to properly charge a thumper before it will give to a quality hearts.  Yes, there are exceptions such as a very small thumper while you are running 1,000 gal wash.

        Robert

        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 10, 2013
          All good ideas and suggestions...and bourbon is an American style whiskey....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bourbon_whiskey