Re: [new_distillers] New Member/First Steps

  • Jim Graves
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 9, 2013
      Mark,

      You got the right idea on the wine, except add sugar to it and lacvin ec1118 yeast and let here go for a few weeks and then you can distill brandy.  If you do straight wine, you'll get very little distillate out of it due to its alcohol content.  and as for you perfect wife (porter brewer) take the beer and after its done, add sugar, corn sugar, and yeast and referment and distill scotch.  I did a beer kit a six years ago and got two quarts of scotch and now its starting to taste pretty good.

      I ran the second ferment of ujsm that I started two weeks ago and yes the 2nd run does start to taste like whiskey!  I was pleasantly surprised.  Can't wait for the 3rd to be ready!  I ran the reflux still on full open and no reflux and ended up with 4,  11/2 pint jars that started at 75% and I quit at around 50% or a little less.  The heads, hearts and tails all tasted the same so I mixed them together for  the bottling.  Let it set overnight uncovered and almost all smell left, not that there was that much to start with.  Put a few chips of charred oak in each jar and now I WAIT......four hours gone by now, I'd say thats long enough!!!!!!

      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 9, 2013
        Your wife is a dear so keep her.  If she can make beer, you have all of the wash/wort that you need.  She might want to drop the hop, and use a better yeast that is over 10% + alcohol tolerant.  Look into charring white oak and other wood to store your Ethanol in glass or plastic containers.  At one time we had no choice but to use white oak, but glass and plastic allows us to experiment with other woods.

        Robert