Re: [new_distillers] New Member/First Steps

  • Jim Graves
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 9, 2013
      Mark,

      You got the right idea on the wine, except add sugar to it and lacvin ec1118 yeast and let here go for a few weeks and then you can distill brandy.  If you do straight wine, you'll get very little distillate out of it due to its alcohol content.  and as for you perfect wife (porter brewer) take the beer and after its done, add sugar, corn sugar, and yeast and referment and distill scotch.  I did a beer kit a six years ago and got two quarts of scotch and now its starting to taste pretty good.

      I ran the second ferment of ujsm that I started two weeks ago and yes the 2nd run does start to taste like whiskey!  I was pleasantly surprised.  Can't wait for the 3rd to be ready!  I ran the reflux still on full open and no reflux and ended up with 4,  11/2 pint jars that started at 75% and I quit at around 50% or a little less.  The heads, hearts and tails all tasted the same so I mixed them together for  the bottling.  Let it set overnight uncovered and almost all smell left, not that there was that much to start with.  Put a few chips of charred oak in each jar and now I WAIT......four hours gone by now, I'd say thats long enough!!!!!!

      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 9, 2013
        Hi Mark,
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Mark" wrote:

        > Just decided to get into home distilling and I'm very glad to have found this resource.
        >
        > Right now I'm reading as much as I can before I start asking a bunch of questions.
        >
        > Bought a two-litre alembic pot still and distilled some water to start to get to know it, and see if it leaked (no leaks). Definitely have to work out an easier way to keep the water in the condenser cold, and to regulate the heat under the boiler (the alcohol burner that came with the unit seems to have little difference between "low" and "high".

        I use a ~2L potstill for a learning tool in my book, so I've played a bit with that size. Is there any way you can use one of the portable *~1100w) electric hotplates? I've had good luck with that.

        > While I keep reading, I thought a simple option to work more with the still would be to buy a less-expensive (not to say cheap) bottle of wine and try distilling it. Seems like a good idea to me, but since I don't know what I'm doing yet, I thought I'd ask for opinions.

        It seems kinda odd at first, but especially with fruit ferments (like grape wine) the quality going in often has very little to do with the quality of the distillate. Vintners commonly turn bad wine into fine brandy. Use the cheapest wine you can get.

        > Also, my wife has been home-brewing beer (porter) for some time (God bless her) and I can't see any reason not to experiment with a bit of that before it gets bottled. Am I overlooking something?

        Not overlooking anything at all, with a couple of caveats. First, the stronger-hopped the beer is, the more likely you are to find hope note in your whiskey (for such it will be) that you might find unpleasant. You're really making "bierschnapps". Second, with your small still and the lower alcohol by volume of the beer as opposed to the wine,  you're going to make far less product per run with beer than wine.

        Because of that, I'd recommend "stripping" a few stillsful of beer, the products from which you can put together and do a proper "spirit" run. If those terms are unfamiliar, let me know.

        > Thanks again, glad to be aboard.
        >
        > Mark

      • RLB
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 9, 2013
          Your wife is a dear so keep her.  If she can make beer, you have all of the wash/wort that you need.  She might want to drop the hop, and use a better yeast that is over 10% + alcohol tolerant.  Look into charring white oak and other wood to store your Ethanol in glass or plastic containers.  At one time we had no choice but to use white oak, but glass and plastic allows us to experiment with other woods.

          Robert