My First Mash

  • DK
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 8, 2013
      I was not be a whiskey person until I started working for my new boss a couple of years ago. Since then, I have become extremely interested in the chemistry behind making alcohol and shortening the aging process. This group has been extremely helpful. Thank you to all.

      After doing much research I have decided to attempt my first run. It will be an all grain mash. The below grains are what I've decided to try first. I only want to do all grain runs.

      3 lbs Rahr Red Wheat
      1 lb Briess Rye Malt
      1 lb Flaked Maize

      When I purchased the above grains it was ran through a mill grinder.

      So I am a little confused as to whether or not I need to seep it or, as other literature has stated in this forum, I don't need to because it is already malted and flaked.

      After reading the literature suggested for Newbies I am thinking 1.5 quarts of water per pound

      What I have not decided on is the type of yeast nor do I know how much that or anything else that I should use because this is such a small batch. I don't want to invest too much until I find what I like then go from there.

      The literature on using Beano and enzyme breakdown was very fascinating and am thinking of using it. I am great in a lab setting but my computational skills leave much to be desired. :)

      based upon the amount of grain & subsequent wash, what is the expected amount of return?

      Also, with the aging process I am thinking of using, I want my abv to be approx. 95% then dilute after aging.

      My goal taste would be a W.L. Weller 12 yr.

      Thank you for any help you might give this Newbie.
    • ahandyman59
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 8, 2013

        I use both a pot still and reflux tower. If you distill it above 75%, you will lose a lot/most of the flavor. At 95%, there is very little flavor remaining. If you are going to use a pot still, it’s very doubtful that you’d get distillate of 95% ethanol anyway… Most documentation suggests you age your alcohol at between 60% and 75%.

        Ahandyman59

        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 9, 2013
          if you get 95% out of a potstill, you should write a book on your pioneering techniques.  also at 95% your ethanol with have nearly 0 flavor.  I don't really care for Weller (which is a bourbon, not a whiskey), but i understand your goals.  I think some more reading would help a lot, especially with the basics of stills and ageing.  I'm not trying to be condescending but I believe you are missing some of the basics.

          pot stills = flavors and lower ABV
          reflux = neutrals and higher abv.

          95% is only going to be had from a reflux still and part of the process of getting to 95% is stripping out the flavors.  they go hand in hand. i suppose you could try and age the vodka to turn it into a bourbon but... it may not be the most efficient way to go about things.

          more reading!

          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 9, 2013
            Thank you, I am here to learn. No worries about anything other than getting it right so I have the best flavor I want.

            I know what I want, and I would rather make it than buy it. :)

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Bill Rogers wrote:

            > if you get 95% out of a potstill, you should write a book on your
            > pioneering techniques. also at 95% your ethanol with have nearly 0 flavor.
            > I don't really care for Weller (which is a bourbon, not a whiskey), but i
            > understand your goals. I think some more reading would help a lot,
            > especially with the basics of stills and ageing. I'm not trying to be
            > condescending but I believe you are missing some of the basics.
            >
            > pot stills = flavors and lower ABV
            > reflux = neutrals and higher abv.
            >
            > 95% is only going to be had from a reflux still and part of the process of
            > getting to 95% is stripping out the flavors. they go hand in hand. i
            > suppose you could try and age the vodka to turn it into a bourbon but... it
            > may not be the most efficient way to go about things.
            >
            > more reading!
            >

            > On Fri, Feb 8, 2013 at 12:25 PM, DK wrote:
            >
            > > **
            > >

            > > I was not be a whiskey person until I started working for my new boss a
            > > couple of years ago. Since then, I have become extremely interested in the
            > > chemistry behind making alcohol and shortening the aging process. This
            > > group has been extremely helpful. Thank you to all.
            > >
            > > After doing much research I have decided to attempt my first run. It will
            > > be an all grain mash. The below grains are what I've decided to try first.
            > > I only want to do all grain runs.
            > >
            > > 3 lbs Rahr Red Wheat
            > > 1 lb Briess Rye Malt
            > > 1 lb Flaked Maize
            > >
            > > When I purchased the above grains it was ran through a mill grinder.
            > >
            > > So I am a little confused as to whether or not I need to seep it or, as
            > > other literature has stated in this forum, I don't need to because it is
            > > already malted and flaked.
            > >
            > > After reading the literature suggested for Newbies I am thinking 1.5
            > > quarts of water per pound
            > >
            > > What I have not decided on is the type of yeast nor do I know how much
            > > that or anything else that I should use because this is such a small batch.
            > > I don't want to invest too much until I find what I like then go from there.
            > >
            > > The literature on using Beano and enzyme breakdown was very fascinating
            > > and am thinking of using it. I am great in a lab setting but my
            > > computational skills leave much to be desired. :)
            > >
            > > based upon the amount of grain & subsequent wash, what is the expected
            > > amount of return?
            > >
            > > Also, with the aging process I am thinking of using, I want my abv to be
            > > approx. 95% then dilute after aging.
            > >
            > > My goal taste would be a W.L. Weller 12 yr.
            > >
            > > Thank you for any help you might give this Newbie.

          • RLB
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 9, 2013
              A reflux will do in one run what it will take a pot still to do after distilling 3 or 4 times.  For example: when you use a thumper with pot still you will obtain around 70% abv.  If you re-run your that product, you will achieve near 95% abv.  Remember that a pot still with a thumper is like you distilled it twice, and finishing it again is like you ran it 4 times.  If you use a thumper, you need to pour heads, tails, and poor quality hearts into it to charge it, or you will have to make 3 runs to properly charge a thumper before it will give to a quality hearts.  Yes, there are exceptions such as a very small thumper while you are running 1,000 gal wash.

              Robert

              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 10, 2013
                All good ideas and suggestions...and bourbon is an American style whiskey....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bourbon_whiskey