Re: [new_distillers] Re: leak sealing

  • Jim Wannaknow
    Message 1 of 22 , Feb 7, 2013
      gee what ever happened to good ole flour paste?

      On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 9:11 AM, Nicodeamous <nicodeamous@...> wrote:

      If the connections are fairly snug, use teflon tape to seal the gap.

      If the the connection is so loose that you need a rubber seal, two rubber grades i recommend are Silicone and EPDM.

      The pros of Silicone is that it has excellent heat resistance and are not commonly compounded using sulfur, oil and additives.

      The cons of silicone is that they can be more fragile than other rubbers and are not especially resistant to ethanol(it may swell a bit, flourosilicone would be better in this respect). Also, some are cured with peroxides that can be a bit 'smelly' when new.

      Look for seals that are platimum cured and/or are translucent, ( such as many medical grade seals)if you want the 'cleanest' seals.

      The pros of EPDM is that it is resistant to both water and ethanol, is tougher than silicone, cheaper and generally more common.

      The cons are that EPDM is often compounded with oils, waxes, sulfur and other additives which can be extracted from the rubber while in contact with the hot vapors of the still.

      Look for seals that are NSF & UL approved for use with potable water.

      With all seals, wash them thoroughly and 'bake' them in an oven for an hour or three at 250'F (best to suspend from your baking rack with a thin wire) before use.

      This will cause many of the additives & oils that may be lurking inside to come out and will not hurt the rubber.

      You can get an idea of the quality of the seal this way. Cheaper seals will generate more smoke than better quality seals. Many will actually shrink a bit.

      The other option is to make some kind of mold and use an RTV (Room temperature vulcanization) silicone to make the seal. This may be the best option if it is especially large or oddly shaped.

      Nico

    • Carlos alberto Sanchez
      Message 2 of 22 , Feb 8, 2013
        yo soy un verdadero milagro de la vida