Re: leak sealing

  • mtj2854
    Message 1 of 22 , Feb 4, 2013
      The rubber melts at 750F. The 2" copper pipe fits snugly and about 2" deep into the copper coupling. Pressure in the still will try to escape OUT the conection so I fail to see how it could ever be in contact with the product. [Rainier distillers has been around for years, and he uses it]

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, RLB wrote:

      > At what temp does rubber melt, and at what temp is the oil based chemicals in rubber released?  Rubber is an idea, but not a good one if it poisons you.
      >
      > Robert
      >

      > ________________________________

    • ahandyman59
      Message 2 of 22 , Feb 4, 2013

        Apparently Butyl Rubber (the same material in inner tubes) is used in gloves that are highly resistant to ethanol. Getting the exact melting point of butyl rubber is difficult, because with additives, it can be made to melt as low as 90 degrees centigrade. The fully cured stuff like inner tubes is much higher, around 200 degrees centigrade. You may be on to something, but I think I’ll stick with flour paste…;-)

        Ahandyman59

        At what temp does rubber melt, and at what temp is the oil based chemicals in rubber released?  Rubber is an idea, but not a good one if it poisons you.

        Robert

        I have actually saw that before,as a kid and on much bigger scale,my father used part of a car tube that they wrapped around the joints and think they used bailing twine to hold it in place or whatever was on hand..I'm thinking of doing the same with a old bike tube I have on hand lol

        I've got a 2" bocobob and where the tubes insert I use pieces of bicycle inertube. It's a bitch to stretch into place but after its there you can fold/roll it back to disassemble. I've never had a leak. [I use about 4" sections of inertube]

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Ricky R." wrote:

        > I know to seal leaks I can use a flour and water mix but I saw a few pot stills that used some kinda wrap on the connections,just wondering what it was and how well it worked..mine will be in the house so aside from permanent soldering what can I use...think I saw teflon tape wont hold,have 2 brass connections,around thermometer,and maybe around main or lyme arm...will post pics asap....thanks...

        No virus found in this message.

        No virus found in this message.

      • chris
        Message 3 of 22 , Feb 5, 2013
          The way I understand it is that there should NOT be any pressure in your still.

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "mtj2854" wrote:

          > The rubber melts at 750F. The 2" copper pipe fits snugly and about 2" deep into the copper coupling. Pressure in the still will try to escape OUT the conection so I fail to see how it could ever be in contact with the product. [Rainier distillers has been around for years, and he uses it]
          >
          > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, RLB wrote:
          > >
          > > At what temp does rubber melt, and at what temp is the oil based chemicals in rubber released?  Rubber is an idea, but not a good one if it poisons you.
          > >
          > > Robert
          > >

          > > ________________________________

        • michael raphael
          Message 4 of 22 , Feb 5, 2013
            If it leaks out, it leaks in.  Doesn't matter where the pressure is.  Common physics.

            The rubber melts at 750F. The 2" copper pipe fits snugly and about 2" deep into the copper coupling. Pressure in the still will try to escape OUT the conection so I fail to see how it could ever be in contact with the product. [Rainier distillers has been around for years, and he uses it]

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, RLB wrote:

            > At what temp does rubber melt, and at what temp is the oil based chemicals in rubber released?  Rubber is an idea, but not a good one if it poisons you.
            >
            > Robert
            >

            > ________________________________

          • RLB
            Message 5 of 22 , Feb 5, 2013
              My concern with rubber is petroleum based chemicals entering your still via vapor and contaminating your stripping run, thumper tank, and/or worm.  You do realize that oil based products are separated by using a reflux still like setup.  If you heat rubber, oil is a by-product.  Just concerned about using rubber anywhere around a still.  Beside rubber, petroleum, and ethanol are flammable.

              Robert

              If it leaks out, it leaks in.  Doesn't matter where the pressure is.  Common physics.

              The rubber melts at 750F. The 2" copper pipe fits snugly and about 2" deep into the copper coupling. Pressure in the still will try to escape OUT the conection so I fail to see how it could ever be in contact with the product. [Rainier distillers has been around for years, and he uses it]

              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, RLB wrote:

              > At what temp does rubber melt, and at what temp is the oil based chemicals in rubber released?  Rubber is an idea, but not a good one if it poisons you.
              >
              > Robert
              >

              > ________________________________

            • Fredrick Lee
              Message 6 of 22 , Feb 5, 2013
                Unless its a laminar leak....

                Message 7 of 22 , Feb 5, 2013
                  In which case it would be intended....  If you were moving a hydroscopic fluid/gas and it leaked to atmosphere, moisture would enter your process. I don't believe you would find either case in ethanol distillation....

                  Message 8 of 22 , Feb 5, 2013
                    The surface area of my pot is around 63.68" sq., and my condenser opening is around 0.78"sq.  For this reason steam and ethanol vapor is pushed through condenser somehow, aka: pressure.  Its downward slope it would create even more pressure within its cap head.  Granted that pressure is not extremely high, but pressure is pressure.  If a person used a thumper with their pot still, there could be a great deal of pressure build up inside because it would be the only way to push pot still vapors into a thumper.  Using a worm would also cause pressure within a pot still.  Safety first.

                    Robert

                    Message 9 of 22 , Feb 5, 2013
                      Agree completely.

                      On Feb 5, 2013, at 1:47 PM, michael raphael <mikeraphael2000@...> wrote:

                      In which case it would be intended....  If you were moving a hydroscopic fluid/gas and it leaked to atmosphere, moisture would enter your process. I don't believe you would find either case in ethanol distillation....

                      If it leaks out, it leaks in.  Doesn't matter where the pressure is.  Common physics.

                      The rubber melts at 750F. The 2" copper pipe fits snugly and about 2" deep into the copper coupling. Pressure in the still will try to escape OUT the conection so I fail to see how it could ever be in contact with the product. [Rainier distillers has been around for years, and he uses it]

                      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, RLB wrote:

                      > At what temp does rubber melt, and at what temp is the oil based chemicals in rubber released?  Rubber is an idea, but not a good one if it poisons you.
                      >
                      > Robert
                      >

                      > ________________________________

                    • o1bigtenor
                      Message 10 of 22 , Feb 5, 2013
                        On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 11:07 PM, ahandyman59 <rdh2059@...> wrote:

                        Apparently Butyl Rubber (the same material in inner tubes) is used in gloves that are highly resistant to ethanol. Getting the exact melting point of butyl rubber is difficult, because with additives, it can be made to melt as low as 90 degrees centigrade. The fully cured stuff like inner tubes is much higher, around 200 degrees centigrade. You may be on to something, but I think I’ll stick with flour paste…;-)

                        Please - - centigrade as a unit was dead in 1948 - - could we please get a wee bit closer to the year 2000 usage?

                        Darald

                      • Nicodeamous
                        Message 11 of 22 , Feb 7, 2013
                          If the connections are fairly snug, use teflon tape to seal the gap.

                          If the the connection is so loose that you need a rubber seal, two rubber grades i recommend are Silicone and EPDM.

                          The pros of Silicone is that it has excellent heat resistance and are not commonly compounded using sulfur, oil and additives.

                          The cons of silicone is that they can be more fragile than other rubbers and are not especially resistant to ethanol(it may swell a bit, flourosilicone would be better in this respect). Also, some are cured with peroxides that can be a bit 'smelly' when new.

                          Look for seals that are platimum cured and/or are translucent, ( such as many medical grade seals)if you want the 'cleanest' seals.

                          The pros of EPDM is that it is resistant to both water and ethanol, is tougher than silicone, cheaper and generally more common.

                          The cons are that EPDM is often compounded with oils, waxes, sulfur and other additives which can be extracted from the rubber while in contact with the hot vapors of the still.

                          Look for seals that are NSF & UL approved for use with potable water.

                          With all seals, wash them thoroughly and 'bake' them in an oven for an hour or three at 250'F (best to suspend from your baking rack with a thin wire) before use.

                          This will cause many of the additives & oils that may be lurking inside to come out and will not hurt the rubber.

                          You can get an idea of the quality of the seal this way. Cheaper seals will generate more smoke than better quality seals. Many will actually shrink a bit.

                          The other option is to make some kind of mold and use an RTV (Room temperature vulcanization) silicone to make the seal. This may be the best option if it is especially large or oddly shaped.

                          Nico
                        • White Bear
                          Message 12 of 22 , Feb 7, 2013

                            "The other option is to make some kind of mold and use an RTV (Room temperature vulcanization) silicone to make the seal. This may be the best option if it is especially large or oddly shaped."

                            This is what I use for my gaskets although you have to be careful with the amount of pressure you use to tighten the fittings so as not to crush the gasket.  As an added insurence I wrap the joint with a vulcanized rubber product made for leaky pipes.  I am sorry but I don't remember the name of it but it comes in a roll and is a bit sticky so it readily stickes to itself.  Use this to wrap around the outside of the joint.  You don't need much as it stretches quite a lot.
                            White Bear

                            Message 13 of 22 , Feb 7, 2013
                              All these idea are nice, but they are still not better than threads for small pipes.  I love the metal belt that holds my cap to its pot.

                              Robert

                              Message 14 of 22 , Feb 7, 2013
                                gee what ever happened to good ole flour paste?

                                On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 9:11 AM, Nicodeamous <nicodeamous@...> wrote:

[...]

                              • Carlos alberto Sanchez
                                Message 15 of 22 , Feb 8, 2013
                                  yo soy un verdadero milagro de la vida