First wash

  • chris
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 2 8:05 AM
      Ahoy Ahoy All,

      I went yesterday and got a 20 gallon food grade double bung barrel and a funnel. Sanitized everything with dilute bleach and rinsed with fresh water and added a strip thermometer. Last night I heated 11 gallons of water in my pot to 90F and added 35 pounds of sugar. Stirred it well to dissolve. I tried to pick it up to pour it in the fermenter but the damn thing was to heavy. I didn't take into account the weight of the the sugar. I happened to have a 12V pump that I used to make the transfer (I now have a new best friend). Pitched the 2 packs of turbo classic and gave it a vigorous stir, fitted the airlock and Bobs your uncle. For heat I have an old smoker that didn't work very well to smoke anything. I took the heating element out and fitted it to a cut down can and built a frame of bricks and wood to set the fermenter up on above the element. I went out this morning to check it out and the thermometer reads 77F and it's bubbling away like gang busters. Smells pretty good like bread. I think I'm going to wrap a blanket around the whole mess to keep it warm (it's been pretty chilly here at night) Anyhow that's my story, sorry about the spelling.

      Chris
    • Blackhat-Whitedog
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 3 12:11 AM
        can someone link to a recommended hydrometers. I know you need one for lower level washes and one for higher spirits.

        I suppose they come in sets.
      • RLB
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 3 8:55 AM
          I would suggest buying hydrometer separate from a proof and tralle.  They are both each under $10.  I own a hydrometer, proof, and tralle meter, and its very confusing to use.

          Robert

          can someone link to a recommended hydrometers. I know you need one for lower level washes and one for higher spirits.

          I suppose they come in sets.

        • dave28622000
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 3 6:09 PM
            Ive never seen them in sets - I got mine at the local home brew supply & thats where I'd suggest you look. They're about 6 or 8 bucks. Here's a link if you can't find what you need locally. Slainte, Doc http://www.brewhaus.com/