Re: [new_distillers] Yeast

  • White Bear
    Message 1 of 58 , Feb 1, 2013
      Nothing is written in stone my friends.  I have used Red Star bakers yeast for over 40 years in my wine making, with fresh fruit and concentrate with very good results according to what I have been reading lately.
      Robert-your statement   "baker's yeast is only alcohol tolerant up to 4% abv and EC-1118 is tolerant up to 16% abv".  I'm sorry but throughout my years I can find no basis in this statement according to my vintometer.  I have exceeded 14% alcohol by volumn many times but usually the ABV stops at 12%.  A lot depends on your water pH, direct heat vs inderect heat, humidity, cool vs hot fermentation and I'm sure a few other variables.  I have NEVER had great success with the speciality yeasts so why pay out the bucks for IMHO inferrior yeasts.  Making wine for 48 years has taught me to never say definantly.
      WB

      Message 58 of 58 , Feb 5, 2013
        Robert,

        There are a lot of variables, and in the end it comes down to experimentation and personal preference.  Take a look at this yeast reference chart for some basic information, and note the differences in the characteristics of the different strains.

        I mentioned EC1118 and DV10 for vodka because of the characteristics listed on the chart, fast ferment, temp and alcohol tolerant, neutral, etc.  I only make vodka, so these are the yeasts I use.  If you want to make whiskey or rum or whatever, I'm sure there are better choices.  I have also used bread yeast in the past, both regular and instant start, and they fermented Just fine.  I plan to try them both again in the future.

        Just remember that if you push the limits of any yeast you can end up with undesirable flavors.  Choose a yeast and work with it for a while to figure out how to make it happy.  Control your variables and refine your process around the yeast's best interests and it will be your friend.

        Almost forgot, have used superstart with sugar before - didn't like it, made bad flavors that I couldn't get rid of after multiple reflux distillations.

        BC