Re: [new_distillers] Re: new still

  • Bill Rogers
    Message 1 of 56 , Feb 1, 2013
      save your wash for your second spirit run.  do a run of the cheapest wine you can get your hands on for your first "spirit" run.

      On Fri, Feb 1, 2013 at 1:39 AM, Becool Stayslinky <becoolstayslinky@...> wrote:

      I have used both Lalvin EC1118 and Lalvin DV10 with similar results. The DV10 is more expensive and probably is not worth the extra expense, 42 dollars versus 27 for the EC1118 for the 500 gram brick. I make wheat vodka and both produce a clean spirit although they both will produce sulphur when the mash runs out of nutrient, addition of DAP corrects this immediately. Red Star makes a prise de mousse yeast called Premier Cuvée which should be a pretty close match to EC1118 but I haven't tried it yet, runs closer to 16 bucks for the brick. When I run out of the other two, I'm going to give it a try. That will be a while though. A good place for yeast and lots of other supplies is dwinesupplies.com. They have good prices and reasonable shipping to my neighborhood in western WA.

      BC

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Jim Graves wrote:

      > Do your self a favor and don't use any yeast with the word "turbo" in it, it leaves a terrible taste!  Use Lavin 1118 wine yeast, no taste!
      >

      > James D. Graves
      > Ravenwood Solutions, llc.
      > 251-533-8569

    • Jim Graves
      Message 56 of 56 , Feb 1, 2013
        I have used it both ways, today I ran the last of 55 gallons of UJSM and did it in my reflux still with the valve fully open.  I got almost two gallons out of 12 gallons of distillate.  It went from 70 down to 30 when I cut it off.  All mixed together it comes out at about 45% and it tastes great!  Made apple pie out of it and and it is very nice!

        James D. Graves
        Ravenwood Solutions, llc.
        251-533-8569