Re: Pot still or Reflux for beginners?

  • jsducote
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 30, 2013
      The link is pointing to an album in a different group, "Distillers." This group is "new_distillers." To see that album, join the other group.
      -j

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Brent Gainer wrote:

      > Thanks so much for the information Mr. Zymurgy. I tried to click on
      the link you added to the post but I'm having some problems with the "groups" allowing me to view them. Its saying I'm not an active member but I've already gone through all of that.

    • ilmariners
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 30, 2013
        I didn't even catch that , thank you! I'm headed there now.

        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 30, 2013
          Thanks for the information. Did you build your own pot still? If so did you do it off plans or from pictures you've seen? It doesn't look that complicated to build. I just don't want to Build it out of something that's going to make a taste in my final product. I planned on making the condensing portions out of cooper. Just trying to determine best boiler setup.

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "ahandyman59" wrote:

          > I have now made 8 runs with my pot still and 2 runs with my reflux still.
          > The distillate from the pot still has much more taste and after trying
          > things both ways, I think doing a stripping run, then a following run with
          > distillate diluted to 40% produces a much smoother, very flavorful product.
          > I painstakingly put a 2 x 50 inch reflux still together, with a "double
          > helix" condenser and it works very well. It actually produced 3 pints of
          > ~96% distillate last run! The stuff is slightly sweet, VERY strong with
          > very, very little other flavor. After diluting this stuff down to 80 proof
          > (40%), it's like drinking spicy water with a kick. There's not much flavor
          > there, but it makes you drunk way fast!
          >

          > I am settling on using both. The pot still for my whisk(e)y and rum runs and
          > the reflux still for distillate to use in liqueurs. Shortly I'm going to try
          > the reflux still (run fast, with low reflux) for Soju. After diluting down
          > to 20%, that should give a very clean product with just a hint of rice wine
          > flavor. So you can see they all have their purpose. The pot still makes
          > product with the most flavor, the reflux still makes the cleanest product.
          > You can adjust your still to whatever your specific need is. I just gave you
          > several examples and Ideas. I hope that helps.
          >

          > Ahandyman59

        • ahandyman59
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 31, 2013

            Yes I built my own pot still (and my own reflux still). After experimenting with chemistry glassware, I picked up one of the precut copper pot still kits that are available. It works well and is still teaching me something every time I do a run.

            Thanks for the information. Did you build your own pot still? If so did you do it off plans or from pictures you've seen? It doesn't look that complicated to build. I just don't want to Build it out of something that's going to make a taste in my final product. I planned on making the condensing portions out of cooper. Just trying to determine best boiler setup.

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "ahandyman59" wrote:

            > I have now made 8 runs with my pot still and 2 runs with my reflux still.
            > The distillate from the pot still has much more taste and after trying
            > things both ways, I think doing a stripping run, then a following run with
            > distillate diluted to 40% produces a much smoother, very flavorful product.
            > I painstakingly put a 2 x 50 inch reflux still together, with a "double
            > helix" condenser and it works very well. It actually produced 3 pints of
            > ~96% distillate last run! The stuff is slightly sweet, VERY strong with
            > very, very little other flavor. After diluting this stuff down to 80 proof
            > (40%), it's like drinking spicy water with a kick. There's not much flavor
            > there, but it makes you drunk way fast!
            >

            > I am settling on using both. The pot still for my whisk(e)y and rum runs and
            > the reflux still for distillate to use in liqueurs. Shortly I'm going to try
            > the reflux still (run fast, with low reflux) for Soju. After diluting down
            > to 20%, that should give a very clean product with just a hint of rice wine
            > flavor. So you can see they all have their purpose. The pot still makes
            > product with the most flavor, the reflux still makes the cleanest product.
            > You can adjust your still to whatever your specific need is. I just gave you
            > several examples and Ideas. I hope that helps.
            >

            > Ahandyman59

          • Ilmariners
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 31, 2013
              Great to hear. That's the road I'm heading down too. I've got it narrowed to the precut copper also or doing a keg and making the condenser and the rest out copper. Thanks for the info.