Re: White Smoky-like haze in Vodka

  • Matthew Rick
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 28, 2013
      Have you used StarSan to bottle clear spirits like the vodka I'm having troubles with?
      I certainly dilute the vodka from the original 190 proof to 80 proof for bottling strength and I use city tap water. I thought perhaps this could be an issue but why then would so much more "sediment/haze" show up in the first bottle (which would have had a relatively larger portion of Star San sanitizer). I only stress this portion because the haze was significantly more in this first bottle.
      It only took a few days for the first bottle to show the haze while most others have taken about two weeks now. I used apricot juice as a base for fermenting material...not sure that could be a problem though?

      Thank you for your insight!

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "tgfoitwoods" wrote:

      > I'm betting it wasn't the Star San, which is (highly soluble) phosphoric
      > acid and a surfactant, like maybe a sulfonic acid. I've use StarSan for
      > years, in all kinds of applications, and have never had a haze I could
      > attribute to the StarSan.
      >
      > Is it safe to assume that you diluted your distillate from some higher
      > ABV to drinking ABV, maybe 40-45%? If so, some waters will form a
      > precipitate when used to dilute higher-ABV spirit. For that reason, I
      > always use supermarket distilled water.
      >
      > Since it sounds like it goes to the bottom quickly, it doesn't sound
      > like the organic, almost colloidal stuff that some kinds of washes are
      > bad about making, The worst I've ever seen was from a macerated and
      > distilled peach schnapps.
      >
      > Is any of this fitting what you know about your haze?

      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Matthew Rick" wrote:
      > >

      > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Matthew Rick" wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Just got done bottling up some vodka! However, I've noticed a light,
      > white colored haze collecting on the bottom of each bottle. Not positive
      > what it is but I'm thinking it was from using Star-San sanitizer. The
      > bottles were drip dried but definitely not fully rinsed of the
      > sanitizer. I'm assuming this was the issue because I noticed a large
      > amount of haze collecting on some of the first vodka run through our
      > tube for filling. I set that aside since it is probably got a relatively
      > larger amount of sanitizer in it.
      > > >
      > > > Wondering if anyone has had any other problems with Star San like
      > this?
      > > >
      > > > What does everyone else use to sanitize they're bottles before
      > filling with vodka? Potassium/sodium metabisulfite like in wine?
      > > >
      > > > I'm going to try and filter it out with a buon vino filter I have
      > for winemaking. Hoping that will correct the problem. Any thoughts?
      > > >
      > > > I feel like I've used Star San previously without any issues which
      > is why I'm looking for more insight. From what I've described with the
      > first bottles being more cloudy it seems like it would definitely be the
      > issue? But why wouldn't it have happened before!? When you shake up the
      > vodka it dissolves again...
      > > >
      > > > Thanks for everyone's help ahead of time!
      > > >

      > > Want to also note that I used tap water for diluting the vodka to
      > bottling strength. I used the filter then too before bottling.
      > >
      > > Anyone ever use One-Step to clean/sanitize their bottles?

    • waljaco
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 29, 2013
        I used spring water once and still got a haze. Now only use de-mineralised water. Minerals cause a haze and that's why commercial distillers use reverse osmosis to purify their water.
        wal

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Matthew Rick" wrote:

        > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Matthew Rick" wrote:
        > >
        > > Just got done bottling up some vodka! However, I've noticed a light, white colored haze collecting on the bottom of each bottle. Not positive what it is but I'm thinking it was from using Star-San sanitizer. The bottles were drip dried but definitely not fully rinsed of the sanitizer. I'm assuming this was the issue because I noticed a large amount of haze collecting on some of the first vodka run through our tube for filling. I set that aside since it is probably got a relatively larger amount of sanitizer in it.
        > >
        > > Wondering if anyone has had any other problems with Star San like this?
        > >
        > > What does everyone else use to sanitize they're bottles before filling with vodka? Potassium/sodium metabisulfite like in wine?
        > >
        > > I'm going to try and filter it out with a buon vino filter I have for winemaking. Hoping that will correct the problem. Any thoughts?
        > >
        > > I feel like I've used Star San previously without any issues which is why I'm looking for more insight. From what I've described with the first bottles being more cloudy it seems like it would definitely be the issue? But why wouldn't it have happened before!? When you shake up the vodka it dissolves again...
        > >
        > > Thanks for everyone's help ahead of time!
        > >

        > Want to also note that I used tap water for diluting the vodka to bottling strength. I used the filter then too before bottling.
        >
        > Anyone ever use One-Step to clean/sanitize their bottles?

      • RLB
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 29, 2013
          Many people have stills, so why are people buying distilled water that we have no idea where it came from or if it is actually distilled water?  Once I have gained skills to produce a quality spirit, my plan is to distill my own water for my wash and proofing barrel.  All that is needs to be added to distilled water wash is gypsum or ground egg shells and then use my normal formula.

          Robert

          I used spring water once and still got a haze. Now only use de-mineralised water. Minerals cause a haze and that's why commercial distillers use reverse osmosis to purify their water.
          wal

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Matthew Rick" wrote:

          > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Matthew Rick" wrote:
          > >
          > > Just got done bottling up some vodka! However, I've noticed a light, white colored haze collecting on the bottom of each bottle. Not positive what it is but I'm thinking it was from using Star-San sanitizer. The bottles were drip dried but definitely not fully rinsed of the sanitizer. I'm assuming this was the issue because I noticed a large amount of haze collecting on some of the first vodka run through our tube for filling. I set that aside since it is probably got a relatively larger amount of sanitizer in it.
          > >
          > > Wondering if anyone has had any other problems with Star San like this?
          > >
          > > What does everyone else use to sanitize they're bottles before filling with vodka? Potassium/sodium metabisulfite like in wine?
          > >
          > > I'm going to try and filter it out with a buon vino filter I have for winemaking. Hoping that will correct the problem. Any thoughts?
          > >
          > > I feel like I've used Star San previously without any issues which is why I'm looking for more insight. From what I've described with the first bottles being more cloudy it seems like it would definitely be the issue? But why wouldn't it have happened before!? When you shake up the vodka it dissolves again...
          > >
          > > Thanks for everyone's help ahead of time!
          > >

          > Want to also note that I used tap water for diluting the vodka to bottling strength. I used the filter then too before bottling.
          >
          > Anyone ever use One-Step to clean/sanitize their bottles?

        • Ed Barcik
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 29, 2013

            I’ve had that problem a few times and tracked it down to the carbon. If you run it through again, it should clean up.

          • Matthew Rick
            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 29, 2013
              What do you mean you "tracked it down to the carbon"? As in the carbon you originally used was bad for some reason? Not sure how carbon would cause a white haze...?

              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 29, 2013
                Was the haze you ran into white like the one I described?

                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 29, 2013
                  Wouldn't you agree that refiltering the vodka now with a 0.5 micron pad would remove all the haze? Especially since I can see it settle I can't imagine how this wouldn't fix the problem? Otherwise it sounds like I've got to demineralize this vodka somehow...prob need a reverse osmosis filter then?

                  Thanks

                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "waljaco" wrote:

                  > I used spring water once and still got a haze. Now only use de-mineralised water. Minerals cause a haze and that's why commercial distillers use reverse osmosis to purify their water.
                  > wal
                  >
                  > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Matthew Rick" wrote:
                  > >

                  > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Matthew Rick" wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Just got done bottling up some vodka! However, I've noticed a light, white colored haze collecting on the bottom of each bottle. Not positive what it is but I'm thinking it was from using Star-San sanitizer. The bottles were drip dried but definitely not fully rinsed of the sanitizer. I'm assuming this was the issue because I noticed a large amount of haze collecting on some of the first vodka run through our tube for filling. I set that aside since it is probably got a relatively larger amount of sanitizer in it.
                  > > >
                  > > > Wondering if anyone has had any other problems with Star San like this?
                  > > >
                  > > > What does everyone else use to sanitize they're bottles before filling with vodka? Potassium/sodium metabisulfite like in wine?
                  > > >
                  > > > I'm going to try and filter it out with a buon vino filter I have for winemaking. Hoping that will correct the problem. Any thoughts?
                  > > >
                  > > > I feel like I've used Star San previously without any issues which is why I'm looking for more insight. From what I've described with the first bottles being more cloudy it seems like it would definitely be the issue? But why wouldn't it have happened before!? When you shake up the vodka it dissolves again...
                  > > >
                  > > > Thanks for everyone's help ahead of time!
                  > > >

                  > > Want to also note that I used tap water for diluting the vodka to bottling strength. I used the filter then too before bottling.
                  > >
                  > > Anyone ever use One-Step to clean/sanitize their bottles?

                • David Eastham
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jan 29, 2013
                    I got exactly this once and put it down to too much tails in the vodka coming out of solution. Since going for about 24% tails I havent seen the problem. I sanitise with hypochlorite,then rinse with clean water.
                    Cheers
                    Dave E

                    --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Matthew Rick" wrote:

                    > Just got done bottling up some vodka! However, I've noticed a light, white colored haze collecting on the bottom of each bottle. Not positive what it is but I'm thinking it was from using Star-San sanitizer. The bottles were drip dried but definitely not fully rinsed of the sanitizer. I'm assuming this was the issue because I noticed a large amount of haze collecting on some of the first vodka run through our tube for filling. I set that aside since it is probably got a relatively larger amount of sanitizer in it.
                    >
                    > Wondering if anyone has had any other problems with Star San like this?
                    >
                    > What does everyone else use to sanitize they're bottles before filling with vodka? Potassium/sodium metabisulfite like in wine?
                    >
                    > I'm going to try and filter it out with a buon vino filter I have for winemaking. Hoping that will correct the problem. Any thoughts?
                    >
                    > I feel like I've used Star San previously without any issues which is why I'm looking for more insight. From what I've described with the first bottles being more cloudy it seems like it would definitely be the issue? But why wouldn't it have happened before!? When you shake up the vodka it dissolves again...
                    >
                    > Thanks for everyone's help ahead of time!

                  • tgfoitwoods
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jan 29, 2013
                      In truth, Matthew, now that I think about it, I've never StarSaned a bottle for spirit storage, operating under the asumption that the spirit itself was a better disinfectant than the StarSan. I StarSan the hell out of beer bottles, wine bottles, jugs, carboys, polypails, and barrel fermenters. On one occasion, when I needed to crush a small amount of grapes without cracking the seeds, and before I owned a grape crusher, I even StarSaned my feet, but I've never StarSaned a spirit bottle.

                      Thinking about it, I'm hard pressed to imagine a condition under which phosphoric acid and dodecylbenzene sulfonic acid, the active ingredients of StarSan, could drop a precipitate.

                      One of my favorite brandies was one I made from apricots, but I never saw a precipitate with it.

                      Sorry I haven't been much help. I'm just trying to gnaw off the answers that aren't solutions, so we can get to the heart of the problem.

                      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Matthew Rick" wrote:

                      > Have you used StarSan to bottle clear spirits like the vodka I'm having troubles with?
                      > I certainly dilute the vodka from the original 190 proof to 80 proof for bottling strength and I use city tap water. I thought perhaps this could be an issue but why then would so much more "sediment/haze" show up in the first bottle (which would have had a relatively larger portion of Star San sanitizer). I only stress this portion because the haze was significantly more in this first bottle.
                      > It only took a few days for the first bottle to show the haze while most others have taken about two weeks now. I used apricot juice as a base for fermenting material...not sure that could be a problem though?
                      >
                      > Thank you for your insight!
                      >
                      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "tgfoitwoods" wrote:
                      > >
                      > > I'm betting it wasn't the Star San, which is (highly soluble) phosphoric
                      > > acid and a surfactant, like maybe a sulfonic acid. I've use StarSan for
                      > > years, in all kinds of applications, and have never had a haze I could
                      > > attribute to the StarSan.
                      > >
                      > > Is it safe to assume that you diluted your distillate from some higher
                      > > ABV to drinking ABV, maybe 40-45%? If so, some waters will form a
                      > > precipitate when used to dilute higher-ABV spirit. For that reason, I
                      > > always use supermarket distilled water.
                      > >
                      > > Since it sounds like it goes to the bottom quickly, it doesn't sound
                      > > like the organic, almost colloidal stuff that some kinds of washes are
                      > > bad about making, The worst I've ever seen was from a macerated and
                      > > distilled peach schnapps.
                      > >
                      > > Is any of this fitting what you know about your haze?
                      > >
                      > > Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller Making Fine Spirits

                      ----snip----
                    • Matthew Rick
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jan 29, 2013
                        Thanks for your thoughts on this. I called 5 Star Chemicals and I'm waiting to hear back from a tech expert...In the meantime I took a closer look at the active ingredient list. It seems you are correct that phosphoric acid is soluble in alcohol but "dodecylbenzenesulfonic acid" (which is 15% of the active ingredients) is fully soluble in water though only PARTIALLY soluble in alcohol! So I'm thinking with the higher purity of vodka in comparison to wine (40% vs 12-14%) I'm realizing a precipitate. SHIT! So, I think in the end I'll be trying to filter it out? I'm hoping 0.5 micron filter pads will do the trick...prob going to run it through at least twice.

                        I'll try to update when I hear back from the Star San tech.

                      • Matthew Rick
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jan 29, 2013
                          I normally collect to ~30% so I guess that should confirm it isn't the issue.

                          Never used hypochlorite...I'll check it out.

                          Thanks.

                          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "David Eastham" wrote:

                          > I got exactly this once and put it down to too much tails in the vodka coming out of solution. Since going for about 24% tails I havent seen the problem. I sanitise with hypochlorite,then rinse with clean water.
                          > Cheers
                          > Dave E
                          >

                          > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Matthew Rick" wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Just got done bottling up some vodka! However, I've noticed a light, white colored haze collecting on the bottom of each bottle. Not positive what it is but I'm thinking it was from using Star-San sanitizer. The bottles were drip dried but definitely not fully rinsed of the sanitizer. I'm assuming this was the issue because I noticed a large amount of haze collecting on some of the first vodka run through our tube for filling. I set that aside since it is probably got a relatively larger amount of sanitizer in it.
                          > >
                          > > Wondering if anyone has had any other problems with Star San like this?
                          > >
                          > > What does everyone else use to sanitize they're bottles before filling with vodka? Potassium/sodium metabisulfite like in wine?
                          > >
                          > > I'm going to try and filter it out with a buon vino filter I have for winemaking. Hoping that will correct the problem. Any thoughts?
                          > >
                          > > I feel like I've used Star San previously without any issues which is why I'm looking for more insight. From what I've described with the first bottles being more cloudy it seems like it would definitely be the issue? But why wouldn't it have happened before!? When you shake up the vodka it dissolves again...
                          > >
                          > > Thanks for everyone's help ahead of time!

                        • White Bear
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jan 29, 2013
                            Are you doing your cuts properly and not trying to be selfish with distilling all that you can.  I had a white haze in my product when I first started but when I learned about doing my cuts properly I have never since had this problem.WB

                            --- In mailto:new_distillers%40yahoogroups.com, "David Eastham" wrote:

                            > I got exactly this once and put it down to too much tails in the vodka coming out of solution. Since going for about 24% tails I havent seen the problem. I sanitise with hypochlorite,then rinse with clean water.
                            > Cheers
                            > Dave E
                            >

                            > --- In mailto:new_distillers%40yahoogroups.com, "Matthew Rick" wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Just got done bottling up some vodka! However, I've noticed a light, white colored haze collecting on the bottom of each bottle. Not positive what it is but I'm thinking it was from using Star-San sanitizer. The bottles were drip dried but definitely not fully rinsed of the sanitizer. I'm assuming this was the issue because I noticed a large amount of haze collecting on some of the first vodka run through our tube for filling. I set that aside since it is probably got a relatively larger amount of sanitizer in it.
                            > >
                            > > Wondering if anyone has had any other problems with Star San like this?
                            > >
                            > > What does everyone else use to sanitize they're bottles before filling with vodka? Potassium/sodium metabisulfite like in wine?
                            > >
                            > > I'm going to try and filter it out with a buon vino filter I have for winemaking. Hoping that will correct the problem. Any thoughts?
                            > >
                            > > I feel like I've used Star San previously without any issues which is why I'm looking for more insight. From what I've described with the first bottles being more cloudy it seems like it would definitely be the issue? But why wouldn't it have happened before!? When you shake up the vodka it dissolves again...
                            > >
                            > > Thanks for everyone's help ahead of time!

                          • ahandyman59
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jan 29, 2013

                              Um, hypochlorite is the chemical name of bleach btw…  A very, very common disinfectant…

                              Message 14 of 17 , Jan 30, 2013
                                Some carbon has residual minerals. That's why it needs to be boiled prior to use.
                                wal