What country do you live in?

  • chris
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 28, 2013
      Ahoy Ahoy everyone,

      No need to get specific but what country do you live in and have you ever had any contact with the government for practicing your "art"? No need for details, just wondering.

      Chris
    • Henk Stuurman
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 28, 2013
        Hi Chris,

        I'm from the Netherlands, and am starting a small legal distillery. So yes I've contacted our geverment. Distillation is illegal and you can only get a permit as a business. Private persons cannot distill legal.
        But, altough the law says NO, the goverment shuts an eye for the small ones, as long as we keep quiet, small and don't sell.

        Henk

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 28, 2013
          Hi Chris and Group,

          I live in China. You can get a license as an individual and as a business, distilling without a license is illegal. Many a country Chinaman does have a still in his backyard, though, but it is a different story for foreigners. Horrible place to find parts, but a very easy place to have a shop build something for you, with all the lead and cancer-causing trappings of course.
        • tgfoitwoods
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 28, 2013
            Stephane,

            That's very interesting. I have a distilling forum friend who's been in China for a few years (he's an ex-Texan), and who has formed a still-parts company. He's got engineers in Canada and the US and dealers in Australia, the US, and I think in the UK. He started with making just copper parts, but has grown into making (having made, really, as you say by local shops) modular stainless stills, including gorgeous boilers and plated columns.

            I know from him, and so many of his customers (who are also friends) that if you specify and monitor your Chinese vendors carefully, you can avoid the toxic alloys and polymers.

            When he started distilling in China a few years ago, he said his Chinees friends though he was an idiot for making his own spirits, when the local stuff as so cheap, but as he described it, home distillation was so off-the-wall that no-one had even though of regulating it.

            His forum name is Fester, and he's at http://www.stilldragon.com/

            If you go to http://forum.moderndistiller.com/index.php you'll find that forum full of posts from Fester and all of his customers. He's very highly though of.