Re: [new_distillers] Be careful when purchasing a new still

  • RLB
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 27, 2013
      Actually, I love the design, and the company will replace the pot as soon as I send them a tracking number.  I really don't fault the company or supplier, because the manufacturer was at fault by tying to cheat all three of us.

      I purchased a 2.5 gal air cooled pot still. Don't freak out because a fan cools it down enough to turn vapor into liquid.  The air condenser is removable so a worm could be added without a problem during the summer months.  For a hobbyist it is perfect, I am so impressed with the design that one day a 50 gal version will be built with a drain.  It was purchased because it was the only one that uses a metal belt to hold the pot and cap together at the seem.  When you tighten that belt, vapor is only coming out the condenser pipe.  I will give them a positive review.

      Do an internet search for  "moonshine still pro".  Like I said, I had a problem, and they are fixing it for me.  Can't wait for the new pot to come in, so I can do another stripping run.  Have 5 gal of wash to strip.

      Robert

      From: last2blast <last2blast@...>
      To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Sunday, January 27, 2013, 8:41 AM

      A few weeks ago, I purchased a new 2.5 gal still. When it came in it looked to be of great quality and craftsmanship. That copper cap was turned thick copper sheeting, but the stainless steal pot was a different matter.

      After the first few uses, pitting was noticed on the interior near the bottom. After a few more runs, pitting was noticed at 3.5" from the bottom. It did not take me long to find more than 20 pits inside and outside of the pot.

      After contacting the company, we determined that my stainless steel pot was actually a cheap carbon steal knock off that was elector plated with stainless steel, and made with both magnetic and non-magnetic metals. The pot was manufactured in India (Maybe!) This is the kind of crap the Chinese would try to pull.

      We will see if the company will replace the pot because there is no way I will ever place that pot under pressure again.

      Robert