Re: brass connections

  • kekedog13
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 26, 2013
      Yeah, That was mine. I got scolded over at the HD site , and for good reason.I had used it many times and got away with it un-scathed. But it only needs to break once to ruin you're day.I am now working on a new one made from a stainless steel flour canister I found at a thrift store.Better safe than sorry.

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Ricky R." wrote:

      > also ment to ask ,thinking about a thumper,saw a pic of someone using a picle jar as one,is that safe ? looks like it would break,would it ?
      >
      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Ricky R." wrote:
      > >
      > > Just wanted an opinion,put together a pressure cooker pot still,simple start,believe its a 2-2.5 gallon but I used 2 brass connections,on it to connect the cooling coil,is it safe to drink if I run through it ?

    • kekedog13
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 26, 2013
        I bought some brass connecters from Lowes that said "Lead Free" right on the package. They are great! You don't have to pay extra for the lead . Ha Ha

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Ricky R." wrote:

        > also ment to ask ,thinking about a thumper,saw a pic of someone using a picle jar as one,is that safe ? looks like it would break,would it ?
        >
        > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Ricky R." wrote:
        > >
        > > Just wanted an opinion,put together a pressure cooker pot still,simple start,believe its a 2-2.5 gallon but I used 2 brass connections,on it to connect the cooling coil,is it safe to drink if I run through it ?

      • RLB
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 26, 2013
          I hope they didn't add something nasty like Mercury, but lead free is great.

          Robert

          I bought some brass connecters from Lowes that said "Lead Free" right on the package. They are great! You don't have to pay extra for the lead . Ha Ha

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Ricky R." wrote:

          > also ment to ask ,thinking about a thumper,saw a pic of someone using a picle jar as one,is that safe ? looks like it would break,would it ?
          >
          > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Ricky R." wrote:
          > >
          > > Just wanted an opinion,put together a pressure cooker pot still,simple start,believe its a 2-2.5 gallon but I used 2 brass connections,on it to connect the cooling coil,is it safe to drink if I run through it ?

        • Fredrick Lee
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 26, 2013
            PAA will remove the lead from brass. It's been on here a bunch, but the homemade ratio is 1:2 peroxide to vinegar, soak for about 10 minutes.  Soaking longer exposes more lead.  (5 minutes in commercial PAA solution.)