Re: brass connections

  • Ricky R.
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 26, 2013
      also ment to ask ,thinking about a thumper,saw a pic of someone using a picle jar as one,is that safe ? looks like it would break,would it ?

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Ricky R." wrote:

      > Just wanted an opinion,put together a pressure cooker pot still,simple start,believe its a 2-2.5 gallon but I used 2 brass connections,on it to connect the cooling coil,is it safe to drink if I run through it ?

    • kekedog13
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 26, 2013
        Yeah, That was mine. I got scolded over at the HD site , and for good reason.I had used it many times and got away with it un-scathed. But it only needs to break once to ruin you're day.I am now working on a new one made from a stainless steel flour canister I found at a thrift store.Better safe than sorry.

        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 26, 2013
          I bought some brass connecters from Lowes that said "Lead Free" right on the package. They are great! You don't have to pay extra for the lead . Ha Ha

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Ricky R." wrote:

          > also ment to ask ,thinking about a thumper,saw a pic of someone using a picle jar as one,is that safe ? looks like it would break,would it ?
          >
          > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Ricky R." wrote:
          > >
          > > Just wanted an opinion,put together a pressure cooker pot still,simple start,believe its a 2-2.5 gallon but I used 2 brass connections,on it to connect the cooling coil,is it safe to drink if I run through it ?

        • RLB
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 26, 2013
            I hope they didn't add something nasty like Mercury, but lead free is great.

            Robert

            I bought some brass connecters from Lowes that said "Lead Free" right on the package. They are great! You don't have to pay extra for the lead . Ha Ha

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Ricky R." wrote:

            > also ment to ask ,thinking about a thumper,saw a pic of someone using a picle jar as one,is that safe ? looks like it would break,would it ?
            >
            > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Ricky R." wrote:
            > >
            > > Just wanted an opinion,put together a pressure cooker pot still,simple start,believe its a 2-2.5 gallon but I used 2 brass connections,on it to connect the cooling coil,is it safe to drink if I run through it ?

          • Fredrick Lee
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 26, 2013
              PAA will remove the lead from brass. It's been on here a bunch, but the homemade ratio is 1:2 peroxide to vinegar, soak for about 10 minutes.  Soaking longer exposes more lead.  (5 minutes in commercial PAA solution.)