Re: brass connections

  • Ricky R.
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 26, 2013
      ok thanks for the info think I'm kool with 2 lil brass connections and hope I dint statr a argument but what's opinion on teflon tape on them,will the alcohol do it in ? and leak,may just use flour and water mix to help seal when I run

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Ricky R." wrote:

      > Just wanted an opinion,put together a pressure cooker pot still,simple start,believe its a 2-2.5 gallon but I used 2 brass connections,on it to connect the cooling coil,is it safe to drink if I run through it ?

    • Ricky R.
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 26, 2013
        also ment to ask ,thinking about a thumper,saw a pic of someone using a picle jar as one,is that safe ? looks like it would break,would it ?

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Ricky R." wrote:

        > Just wanted an opinion,put together a pressure cooker pot still,simple start,believe its a 2-2.5 gallon but I used 2 brass connections,on it to connect the cooling coil,is it safe to drink if I run through it ?

      • kekedog13
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 26, 2013
          Yeah, That was mine. I got scolded over at the HD site , and for good reason.I had used it many times and got away with it un-scathed. But it only needs to break once to ruin you're day.I am now working on a new one made from a stainless steel flour canister I found at a thrift store.Better safe than sorry.

          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 26, 2013
            I bought some brass connecters from Lowes that said "Lead Free" right on the package. They are great! You don't have to pay extra for the lead . Ha Ha

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Ricky R." wrote:

            > also ment to ask ,thinking about a thumper,saw a pic of someone using a picle jar as one,is that safe ? looks like it would break,would it ?
            >
            > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Ricky R." wrote:
            > >
            > > Just wanted an opinion,put together a pressure cooker pot still,simple start,believe its a 2-2.5 gallon but I used 2 brass connections,on it to connect the cooling coil,is it safe to drink if I run through it ?

          • RLB
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 26, 2013
              I hope they didn't add something nasty like Mercury, but lead free is great.

              Robert

              I bought some brass connecters from Lowes that said "Lead Free" right on the package. They are great! You don't have to pay extra for the lead . Ha Ha

              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Ricky R." wrote:

              > also ment to ask ,thinking about a thumper,saw a pic of someone using a picle jar as one,is that safe ? looks like it would break,would it ?
              >
              > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Ricky R." wrote:
              > >
              > > Just wanted an opinion,put together a pressure cooker pot still,simple start,believe its a 2-2.5 gallon but I used 2 brass connections,on it to connect the cooling coil,is it safe to drink if I run through it ?

            • Fredrick Lee
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 26, 2013
                PAA will remove the lead from brass. It's been on here a bunch, but the homemade ratio is 1:2 peroxide to vinegar, soak for about 10 minutes.  Soaking longer exposes more lead.  (5 minutes in commercial PAA solution.)