Re: [new_distillers] Re: brass connections

  • RLB
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 24, 2013
      It can leach, but there is not supposed to be enough lead in brass to make it toxic.  Just wanted everyone to know that there is lead in brass.  Just like they add mercury to flu shots, figure that one out.

      Robert

      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 26, 2013
        ok thanks for the info think I'm kool with 2 lil brass connections and hope I dint statr a argument but what's opinion on teflon tape on them,will the alcohol do it in ? and leak,may just use flour and water mix to help seal when I run

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Ricky R." wrote:

        > Just wanted an opinion,put together a pressure cooker pot still,simple start,believe its a 2-2.5 gallon but I used 2 brass connections,on it to connect the cooling coil,is it safe to drink if I run through it ?

      • Ricky R.
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 26, 2013
          also ment to ask ,thinking about a thumper,saw a pic of someone using a picle jar as one,is that safe ? looks like it would break,would it ?

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Ricky R." wrote:

          > Just wanted an opinion,put together a pressure cooker pot still,simple start,believe its a 2-2.5 gallon but I used 2 brass connections,on it to connect the cooling coil,is it safe to drink if I run through it ?

        • kekedog13
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 26, 2013
            Yeah, That was mine. I got scolded over at the HD site , and for good reason.I had used it many times and got away with it un-scathed. But it only needs to break once to ruin you're day.I am now working on a new one made from a stainless steel flour canister I found at a thrift store.Better safe than sorry.

            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 26, 2013
              I bought some brass connecters from Lowes that said "Lead Free" right on the package. They are great! You don't have to pay extra for the lead . Ha Ha

              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 26, 2013
                I hope they didn't add something nasty like Mercury, but lead free is great.

                Robert

                I bought some brass connecters from Lowes that said "Lead Free" right on the package. They are great! You don't have to pay extra for the lead . Ha Ha

                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Ricky R." wrote:

                > also ment to ask ,thinking about a thumper,saw a pic of someone using a picle jar as one,is that safe ? looks like it would break,would it ?
                >
                > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Ricky R." wrote:
                > >
                > > Just wanted an opinion,put together a pressure cooker pot still,simple start,believe its a 2-2.5 gallon but I used 2 brass connections,on it to connect the cooling coil,is it safe to drink if I run through it ?

              • Fredrick Lee
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 26, 2013
                  PAA will remove the lead from brass. It's been on here a bunch, but the homemade ratio is 1:2 peroxide to vinegar, soak for about 10 minutes.  Soaking longer exposes more lead.  (5 minutes in commercial PAA solution.)