brass connections

  • Ricky R.
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 23, 2013
      Just wanted an opinion,put together a pressure cooker pot still,simple start,believe its a 2-2.5 gallon but I used 2 brass connections,on it to connect the cooling coil,is it safe to drink if I run through it ?
    • tgfoitwoods
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 23, 2013
        Ricky,Common distiller wisdom has it that if your brass is of new manufacture, and not from China, it will not contain lead and will be safe to distill through.

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Ricky R." wrote:

        > Just wanted an opinion,put together a pressure cooker pot still,simple start,believe its a 2-2.5 gallon but I used 2 brass connections,on it to connect the cooling coil,is it safe to drink if I run through it ?

      • RLB
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 24, 2013
          I used to be a licensed home inspector in the United States, and I can says there is misconception as to the make up of brass.  By US government regulations, a small amount of lead is allowed in brass to make it more malleable during the manufacturing process.  Since household faucets contain brass, water testing for lead might result in a false/positive reading.  Leave it to the government to allow companies to poison us.

          Robert

          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 24, 2013
            wasn't sure read that it could leach in and be toxic,used 2 that I bought from Lowes a year ago
            Ricky, Common distiller wisdom has it that if your brass is of new manufacture, and not from China, it will not contain lead and will be safe to distill through.

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Ricky R." wrote:

            > Just wanted an opinion,put together a pressure cooker pot still,simple start,believe its a 2-2.5 gallon but I used 2 brass connections,on it to connect the cooling coil,is it safe to drink if I run through it ?

            No virus found in this message.

            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 24, 2013
              It can leach, but there is not supposed to be enough lead in brass to make it toxic.  Just wanted everyone to know that there is lead in brass.  Just like they add mercury to flu shots, figure that one out.

              Robert

              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 26, 2013
                ok thanks for the info think I'm kool with 2 lil brass connections and hope I dint statr a argument but what's opinion on teflon tape on them,will the alcohol do it in ? and leak,may just use flour and water mix to help seal when I run

                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 26, 2013
                  also ment to ask ,thinking about a thumper,saw a pic of someone using a picle jar as one,is that safe ? looks like it would break,would it ?

                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Ricky R." wrote:

                  > Just wanted an opinion,put together a pressure cooker pot still,simple start,believe its a 2-2.5 gallon but I used 2 brass connections,on it to connect the cooling coil,is it safe to drink if I run through it ?

                • kekedog13
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 26, 2013
                    Yeah, That was mine. I got scolded over at the HD site , and for good reason.I had used it many times and got away with it un-scathed. But it only needs to break once to ruin you're day.I am now working on a new one made from a stainless steel flour canister I found at a thrift store.Better safe than sorry.

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 26, 2013
                      I bought some brass connecters from Lowes that said "Lead Free" right on the package. They are great! You don't have to pay extra for the lead . Ha Ha

                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 26, 2013
                        I hope they didn't add something nasty like Mercury, but lead free is great.

                        Robert

                        I bought some brass connecters from Lowes that said "Lead Free" right on the package. They are great! You don't have to pay extra for the lead . Ha Ha

                        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Ricky R." wrote:

                        > also ment to ask ,thinking about a thumper,saw a pic of someone using a picle jar as one,is that safe ? looks like it would break,would it ?
                        >
                        > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Ricky R." wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Just wanted an opinion,put together a pressure cooker pot still,simple start,believe its a 2-2.5 gallon but I used 2 brass connections,on it to connect the cooling coil,is it safe to drink if I run through it ?

                      • Fredrick Lee
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jan 26, 2013
                          PAA will remove the lead from brass. It's been on here a bunch, but the homemade ratio is 1:2 peroxide to vinegar, soak for about 10 minutes.  Soaking longer exposes more lead.  (5 minutes in commercial PAA solution.)