wheat taste

  • Justin
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 21, 2013
      ok I made a 5 gallon mash of 50% honey malt and 50% wheat and stilled it out very slow and got about a half gallon of pretty decent high proof whiskey but the taste is kind of like bread dough with whiskey in it. is there any way that I can bring a little more sweet flavor into my whiskey?
    • ballard_bootlegger
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 22, 2013
        Hi Justin,
        Sounds like a tasty grain bill. Both the wheat and the clean honey malt will give you a pretty dry, mellow flavor. If you want to add some sweetness throw in some corn, whole or flaked maize. If you want sweetness with a little spice try adding some rye, that's one of my favorite adjuncts.

        Drink Well,
        W.

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Justin" wrote:

        > ok I made a 5 gallon mash of 50% honey malt and 50% wheat and stilled it out very slow and got about a half gallon of pretty decent high proof whiskey but the taste is kind of like bread dough with whiskey in it. is there any way that I can bring a little more sweet flavor into my whiskey?

      • Heath Dollar
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 23, 2013
          Thank you for the advice I think I will add some corn and see where that takes me.

          Sent from my iPhone

          On Jan 22, 2013, at 3:31 PM, "ballard_bootlegger" <meriwetherdistilleries@...> wrote:

          Hi Justin,
          Sounds like a tasty grain bill. Both the wheat and the clean honey malt will give you a pretty dry, mellow flavor. If you want to add some sweetness throw in some corn, whole or flaked maize. If you want sweetness with a little spice try adding some rye, that's one of my favorite adjuncts.

          Drink Well,
          W.

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Justin" wrote:

          > ok I made a 5 gallon mash of 50% honey malt and 50% wheat and stilled it out very slow and got about a half gallon of pretty decent high proof whiskey but the taste is kind of like bread dough with whiskey in it. is there any way that I can bring a little more sweet flavor into my whiskey?

        • RLB
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 23, 2013
            Has anyone tried oats as in Oat Meal, just wondered what that might taste like?

            Robert