Have parts and ideas,hoping for opinions

  • mrlovjoy
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 21, 2013
      I am beginning to think that a vm still might be the easiest (For a beginner)to construct, run, and will produce good ns. Does anyone know a location for plans, and running info, specific to this design? It appears that all I need is a T, with a gate valve, between the modular column, and condenser head I am planning to build, running off to a glass Liebig that I already have. Any suggestions? Am I missing anything? As always, 1211107a thanks, H.
    • ballard_bootlegger
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 22, 2013
        H,
        A vapor management still is a great way to go for a beginner. There are a few different types of vapor management systems so you have to choose which one you want. In addition to your column and condenser you will need a dephlegmator, or some other vapor cooling device to create reflux. You'll need at least a compound still, or ideally a fractioning still if you plan to make neutral spirits. If there is one resource for a beginner to learn everything from building the still to making the whiskey I would recommend checking out 'Making Pure Corn Whiskey' by Ian Smiley. If you're not stuck on making your own still, I'd recommend a dragon. Look at stilldragon.com, they've got good modular stills for cheaper than you can build them for usually. And for a novice copper smith they are almost sure to be better quality than what we drinkers can build. I have a small stripping unit I built from a 2" stainless pipe stuffed rolls of copper mesh (amazon.com), a still dragon dephlegmator (pre-condenser), and a dragon shotgun condenser. I can make great whiskey or rum with this configuration or if I turn up the water I can reach full equilibrium and pull very pure neutral spirits.

        Good luck and drink well,
        W.

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 26, 2013
          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "ballard_bootlegger" wrote:

          > H,
          > A vapor management still is a great way to go for a beginner.

          Thanks W. I'll look into those things, and book. H.