Odor from first stripping run, disappearing

  • last2blast
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 21, 2013
      So far, I have collected just under 1 full gal. of alcohol from my stripping runs. When I placed this alcohol into 1 qt glass jars, it smelled like turpentine or glue. After a week in these glass jars, its dreadful odor has reduced substantially.

      Is this decrease in odor normal for all processed alcohol?

      Robert
    • tgfoitwoods
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 21, 2013
        Robert,

        Since smells good or bad is partly subjective, that may be a possibility on your part, but definitely during the first few days, the lighter harsher fractions will decrease with time exposed to air, which is why we recommend a bit of time before evaluationg your fractions (making the cuts).

        On the other hand, if there is lots of heads in what you've collected, yes it will be stinky at first, but time will help some.

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "last2blast" wrote:

        > So far, I have collected just under 1 full gal. of alcohol from my stripping runs. When I placed this alcohol into 1 qt glass jars, it smelled like turpentine or glue. After a week in these glass jars, its dreadful odor has reduced substantially.
        >
        > Is this decrease in odor normal for all processed alcohol?
        >
        > Robert

      • ballard_bootlegger
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 22, 2013
          Robert,
          By your description those smells are most likely foreshots, the most volatile compounds in your distillation run. They evaporate the fastest so it makes sense that the smell would be dissipating. It's important to remove these compounds from anything you will be consuming. That's the shit that will make you go blind and give you the jake leg. :-) It's pretty easy to separate, just toss anything that smells like glue, astringent, nail polish remover, or ammonia.

          Drink Well
          W.

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "last2blast" wrote:

          > So far, I have collected just under 1 full gal. of alcohol from my stripping runs. When I placed this alcohol into 1 qt glass jars, it smelled like turpentine or glue. After a week in these glass jars, its dreadful odor has reduced substantially.
          >
          > Is this decrease in odor normal for all processed alcohol?
          >
          > Robert

        • RLB
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 23, 2013

            I toss every thing under 185 F because that stuff is real nasty. 185 to 192 is my head, heart is 192 to 195, and tail is 195 +.  My pot still gives me 115 to 120 proof stripped alcohol which is much higher than what I have read about.  Experimenting will make me better, and I will not taste anything unless it has very little odor.