Re: [new_distillers] Is it safe? And will it work?

  • o1bigtenor
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 20, 2013
      On Sat, Jan 19, 2013 at 3:18 PM, hloggins1 <hloggins1@...> wrote:
      > Just recived a new 26 gallon pot still.It has 3 stainless fittings in the boiler what is the best way to seal the fittings.Can i apply teflon tape to the fittings or should i use teflon pipe dope? Or will stainless fittings seal on there own? Have been a member for 3 or 4 years now but have never jumped in I had dail up internet service at 16k speeds I think that says it all.ZB have all your books learned a great deal from them?Now that I have real internet I will not be a stranger THANKS MEMBERS FOR YOUR HELP.

      Not a distilling expert - - just a machinist (here to learn about distilling).

      You say fittings - - what are they? Are they threaded? If so what kind
      of thread? If they are not threaded what do they look like?

      If you have threads are the threads tapered (NPT National Pipe Thread
      (tapered 1/4" per foot by definition) where you CAN use sealants but
      shouldn't have to (by definition). If you have straight threads what
      are the mating fitings made of? Is it a running/sliding fit (goes
      together easily with no binding) or is it tight (size on size or
      perhaps even and interference fit (where the inner part is a little
      bit larger than the outer part). As you can see there needs to be a
      lot more information before a definitive EASY answer happens.

      Not trying to be difficult just don't have enough information to
      answer your questions!

      Darald